Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1999 Honda Shadow vlx 600. It's way too slow for me. I'm gonna make it into a bobber, but what can I do to give it more power? Besides buying a new engine or something different.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I can't imagine that you're going to squeeze a ton more horsepower out of a 600 V-Twin short of cramming in a bigger engine if that's even possible. Aftermarket exhaust, higher flowing air filter and a jet kit are the most realistic performance addons, but they're not going to add a huge jump in horsepower.

-I suppose you could research big bore kits but I can't imagine the cost and/or time put into it would be less than just buying a bigger bike, though I could be wrong. I know they make 1200cc kits for the HD 883, so maybe they make similar kits for the Shadow 600. Still may cost more than its worth putting into the bike, though.

·
1,895 Posts
If I added exhaust, and air filter would I notice a difference at all?
Maybe a little. If I recall correctly, exhaust and air filter change adds anywhere from 8-15hp depending on the bike and the exhaust. I imagine that would be a little noticeable at least. The thing to take into consideration is that changing the exhaust and filter may lean out the bike too much, so you may need to rejet the carbs. That can be complicated if you do it and somewhat expensive if you have someone else do it.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If you mean a Kuryakn Hypercharger, it will depend on the amount of air your stock filter flows now as to whether it will increase it. On most Harley's, for example, the Hypercharger decreases air flow compared to stock.

Opening up the intake and getting the right pipes, and tuning the bike, can add a few horsepower, and like Sigma said, that's your only real affordable option. If you know someone that can do the machine work, decking the heads to increase compression will give you the most increase for your dollars. Adding a "big bore kit," if they make one, would be more expense then the bike is worth probably.

·
1,895 Posts
It looks to already have aftermarket exhaust
Then I hate to say it, but you're probably near the top of what you're going to realistically get out of it. Or at least what it makes financial sense to do. If you bobber it, you might gain a bit from weight reduction, but it won't be a ton. Add a free-flowing filter and adjust the carb tune and that's about it.

·
1,895 Posts
Out of curiousity, is this your 1st bike?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First "cruiser". I've had like 7 different sport bikes over the past 6 years. I'm just tired of those. I'm in my 30's now and just moved from Florida to Colorado. A little different here

·
1,895 Posts
First "cruiser". I've had like 7 different sport bikes over the past 6 years. I'm just tired of those. I'm in my 30's now and just moved from Florida to Colorado. A little different here
Oh. I like my sportbike but its nice to also have my bobber for a change of pace.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I currently have the 2 piece seat with back rest that I know my wife likes, but I see what I can do to put a single seat. I like the LaRosa design solo spring seat but wanna be able to put the rear seat on if the wife wants to come out sometime

1 - 20 of 62 Posts