Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed led turn signals now and my rear turn signals works and are bright the front turn signals aren't bright at all. It is a yzf r6 from 2000

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Did you splice into the whole harness or did you unplug and re-plug the new in? Sounds to me like you need to double check your connections.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Are you sure that the front ones are dim not just an illusion since the rears are so bright now?

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Just another thought, #1 are the front LED too or regular filaments? Secondly is it maybe rapid flashing?

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Humn... might be just the Flasher relay needs to be changed to an LED type or to add resistors to each of the turn signals so that the proper resistance for the stock flasher relay. The problem with most LED flasher relays they are generic and you get to play wire roulette to get them in the correct position.

Reactions: WintrSol

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
It may help to know what bike we are discussing; for example, were the front signals also running lights, that is, on but dimmer when not flashing? If so, did they have three wires, or use the frame as ground to light the lights? How many wires do the new signals have, and do they have running lights? How are they grounded?

Not flashing is probably because there is not enough power drawn to make the flasher work, so you would need a LED type flasher, as Aphrodite explains, or just load resistors of high Watts and low Ohms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a Yamaha yzf r6 year 2000. I I'm going to buy a led type flasher so I will try that first

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
OK, I found a manual with the wiring diagram, and it seems the front signals do not have running lights included, just the output of the flasher relay through the L/R selector. So, if connected the right way around, both the front and rear left signals should turn on at the same time when selected, as should the front and rear right signals. No flashing is down to the common flasher relay, but no light up front would be a wiring issue. Because of how the indicator is wired, you may get some light on the right when the left is selected, or some on the left when the right is selected; the indicator uses the off side as ground, and LEDs don't do that well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The lights are running but the front lights are very weak but rear are bright and they don't flash they just lights on. They are grounded with 2 wires from the frame and the turn signals have 2 wires too

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
According to that diagram, each signal gets a wire from the switch, and a ground; it doesn't show if those wires are doubled up. The front signals are not getting full power; why depends on the wiring.

If you are anywhere near St. Louis, MO, I could help hands-on; using text, at this point, is very hard.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
I suspected you weren't in the US, much less near me. You are going to have to go through your wiring updates, and verify everything against the wiring diagram. After you replace the flasher relay with a LED-capable type, of course.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts