Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking at buying a project bike and learning as I go. I will be looking at a Honda GL500 today with an asking price of $500. He said while he was last out riding the drive shaft stopped working. Meaning, it didn't power the bike forward anymore. I will be using this bike as a hobby/learning process and making it into a bobber style. What issues could be causing this drive shaft to sieze.stop working and will the cost/trouble of potentially replacing the primary/secondary drives be worth the purchase price? (I plan on making an offer for $400 due to having to prob replace the drive shaft system)

Any input on a malfunctioning drive shaft will help here. TY

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Most likely, a lack of grease on the shaft splines caused them to strip. If so, you'll need a replacement shaft and the part it fits into.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Now silly question. Can a replacement shaft be purchased via catalog or parts manufacturer or are these only found thru salvage, scraped bikes of same make/model? Seems the only thing I don't know much about in motorcycles is a shaft drive system, but the rest of the bike seems like a great platform to build a bobber. Solid engine, never layed over, no previous damage. etc etc

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
The answer really depends on how old the bike is, and how popular it was; also, does it share parts like that with another model? Looks like you have some research to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts