Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend bought a storage unit at auction and found a Yamaha motorcycle in the back of it, buried under a bunch of stuff. It looks to be in pretty good condition but one label is rubbed off. The serial number label is intact along with the stamping. The serial is 2j2-021946 but doesn't come up in any of the VIN or serial searches I've tried. Can anyone help me identify this bike and tell me anything about it or what it might be worth. He has not tried to start it yet, and there is no telling how long it's been in the storage unit. Anything he should do before trying to start it? Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
Do a google search on Yamaha 2j2-021946.

Looks like an SR500 maybe an 83

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I believe that serial you're looking at is the serial number for the specific part, not the whole bike. Based on the part number, I believe Critter would be correct.

I would not try starting it without at least taking a peek into the petrol tank. If there's petrol in there you'll need to drain and clean the tank then maybe even clean the carbs. Anything sitting for that long will have some nasty rot in that tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I've googled more but still not found anything. I can find 2j1 and 2j3 listed by vin but not 2j2. I've attached a photo of the bike where I found this number, not sure about that being a part number. Any other ideas or where
I can find out more about this bike?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do a VIN search. I'm in insurance, so I've done this for insurance, but can you search by VIN? Should tell you the model I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts