Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Well the other day I was going to buy a 95 gs500e (as my first bike) but they guy i was buying it from said he didnt prep the tank during the winter and now it needs to be cleaned and there is some rust under it and a little ding. so my question is how can i clean it up the inside and the rust? or where can i buy a tank that will fit it or a replacement? and hes selling it for only 900, should i still buy it?
Thanks.

another question what the top speed of a 95 gs500e? just curios alot of websites have given lost of different answers. but thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
about 95 gs500e

hey I got a 99 gs500e and it gave me some when I first got it...I had it for a week and the carbs had issues but I thought it was somethin else so I cut a hole in the gas tank to get to my problem and noticed a bunch of rust... I know a guy that works at a welding shop and they've got a sandblaster in there so I sanded all the rust off and it looked as good as new...turns out the thing that was stuck in the gas tank wasn't the issue after all but he welded the tank back together painted it up looks all perty and we fixed the carbs so it runs good now...but for $900 if that really is the only problem I'd say buy it but make sure you have someone that knows a lot about motorcycles there with you to confirm...point is...cut it open use a sandblaster weld it back together and make it look good

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Cut it open and weld it back together? Are you nuts? There are far easier ways to clean the inside of a tank!

There is a method where you throw a few nuts/bolts/washers/whatever in the tank and shake it you get the rust out. Not sure of the specifics, maybe someone can fill in the details.

All else fails, there is a 2003 GS500 tank on ebay right now for $100.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts