Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So… This is my first post on this site. I am brand new to not only the community/forum world… But also very very brand new to anything mechanical (other than changing my oil on my car)…

First things first I’m going to post a couple raw pictures of the frame and motor HOPING someone could chime in as to WHERE TO BEGIN .. that’s the issue I am currently facing…

I am going to attempt to reassemble and put any needed replacement parts on this motorbike.. along with keeping a semi traditional look I'm also going to attempt to add a touch of my own customization. I am making this post and will make MANY more in the coming days/weeks/months to get any/all help/feedback on my progress.

My grandfather recently moved to Tennessee from Michigan and brought with him a DISASSEMBLED 1974 Honda CB350F1. Let me re-iterate, THE BIKE IS IN PIECES… However, the engine seems to be almost completely intact.

He states that there is nothing wrong with the bike mechanically, and claims no leakage and that it “purred like a kitten” no less than 36mo ago.. Although the bike seems in a very raw form, it seems that a month or two of at least a couple hours a day on average could get this bike in running order.. (correct me if I’m wrong) :)

Again.. ANY/ALL comments, questions, critiquing is welcomed and MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
D

Attachments

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
Moved post to the repair section of the site as this is a more appropriate section for your needs. Might find more help here than first rider section.

If you don't mind, it would be great if you introduced yourself in New Member Introduction forum.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
Okay, I'll ask the obvious. If this bike purred like a kitten, just why is it in pieces? That makes no sense to me but then I don't catch on very quick sometimes.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL.. well I was kinda wondering the exact same thing.. I've only had a brief conversation with my grandfather about this.. and the day I called him about the bike, he wasn't feeling well.. If you see my new post in the forum you suggested, it gives a very brief description of my grandfather and his TALL TALL TALES.. haha.. i don't belive 1/2 of the things he says... but he said that after he bought it, it needed some body work I guess.. so he was going to start that process (and was trying to do as much by himself as possible).. and shortly after he got it all tore down, he became ill.. and never picked the wrench back up.. so, he moved to TN and brought it down in boxes.. and its been in the shed @ my grandmother's house for almost 2yrs.. I recently became interested in wanting the project myeself.. and he told me that IF I get it put back together and back on the road, he'd hand me over the title! (which will be GREAT considering he missed MANY MANY birthdays & Christmas' presents)

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
The way I read this. You are a rookie. Do not take the engine apart. You need to get it running, so you know if it is worth doing anything with it. The carburetors probably need cleaning. It will also need fresh gas and filters. Then check for spark. Worry about the cosmetics later. Make sure there is oil in the engine. Make sure it turns over easy. It probably has a kick starter, and an electric starter. You will need a new battery, and battery tender to charge it. Instructions usually come with a new battery.

Bon chance UK

· Save them all!
3,973 Posts
I agree with Krusty's suggestion. Put it together to the point where you can try to run it - see if it runs and makes oil pressure and doesn't make any bad noises. If it runs well, go ahead and clean things up.

It doesn't LOOK too bad from the photos - just disassembled.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the direction!! This sounds like great advice, and I believe this is exactly where/how I'll start. I wasn't planning on dis-assembling the motor unless it called for it down the road.

I was also wondering what the electrical systems/wires should look like that run along the frame of the bike... It seems like everything is in tact.. Will there be an easy way to know what I'm missing and to which component?? It appears the wiring COULD be the original and some of the tape/wrapping has begun to dry-rot..

· Save them all!
3,973 Posts
A factory shop manual would be a handy reference for what's there and what you need.

The wiring is likely original. Clean up the ground connections you can find - that will be helpful when it comes time to start it. The one bit of the electrical system you will probably have to mess with is the breaker points. You will need to learn to clean them and set the gap and timing. This is really important to make an older bike start easily and run well (Plus you will then have a skill that not many people do now..)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.