Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to go and introduce myself on the new form page and I couldn't figure out how to get the post but anyways I have a 1991 GSX 1100 katana I had it running down in California I put it up because I was moving back home I just started working again mind you it's been like 10 years but I had it running down in California but now before I even try to crank it over soon as I put power to it like turn it on it immediately backfires. And it will not start, it tries or seems like it tries but won't start

·
Mod of the North
730 Posts
You nailed it on the introduction this is the new members area. Welcome from Niagara Falls!

After 10 years you are going to want to change the fluids, put a new battery in, do all your filters and properly clean and service the carbs. Am I reading that right? The bike backfires when you turn on the key BEFORE you push the starter button? I've never dealt with that but off the top of my head I am gonna guess fuel is getting past one of the floats due to grime or poor adjustment and an electrical issue is igniting it. Do the regular service and eliminate age since use from the equaion and we can begine to trouble shoot. Start a thread for it in the repairs section when you are sorted out.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
10,065 Posts
It happens to almost every Carb'd bike that sits for a long period of time: The Jets and orifices are clogged up and must be cleaned out. It is a very common problem.

Tinsnips gave you very good advice!

If you can't remove and intelligently work on those 4 Carb's, take the bike to a Suzuki Dealer or an independent Dealer and have them fix the problem.

Welcome to a great Forum.

Sam :bigthumb:
Circle Crest Symbol Emblem Fashion accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you're reading that correctly and I took one of the plugs out and tried to get it to crank over to see if it was going to fire what it's doing is as soon as there is voltage put to the wires the spark plug starts working without being turned over at all. It's not you know real definitive but you see an arc just here and there just randomly sporadically what would .that be

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already torn the carburetor down and cleaned it rebuilt you know everything but it's still not firing the way it's supposed to I can get the bike to almost start without the battery connected and it only connected to a jump box but as soon as I put a battery on it it won't even try and start it just cranks over it doesn't backfire or anything but just on a jump box with no battery it'll backfire and almost try and start

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I can intelligently work on the bike myself and I'm very comprehensive when it comes to mechanical aspects I've already torn to carburetors down rebuilt them clean the Jets and everything else the problem is the spark plugs are igniting before I'm even trying to start. Keep in mind the battery is not connected when it will actually try and start. When I have the battery connected it won't even backfire it won't spark or anything but without the battery connected I can put it on a jump box and it'll try and spark but it tries to spark before I even try to start it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts