Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on restoring/ street legalizing a 1972 Honda CT70. this bike was stored in a barn and hadnt started for about 10 years. when i got it i put in a brand new spark plug and it started 2nd kick! i spent over 200 dollars on parts and need some help hooking up some electronics. I bought a New battery for it and i believe its the right one because it fits in the battery box perfectly. the original battery was a YUASA (spelling?) and i figured it didnt work anymore. the battery didnt come with any acid packs or anything so i dont know how it is expected to power everything. there are 2 connectors. a red one and a black one. both a metal tab type. the 2 connectors on my honda fit these properly. Do i need to do something with the battery to give it more charge? Also, i bought an original 6volt headlight that suposedly works. i Attached it to the headlight brackets but ive got one problem. I dont know which wires to connect to which? i dont have the thing in front of me right now so i cant tell you exactly what colors are there but im pretty sure there is a red, a green, a white, and maybe a blue. I have a SHOP manual with a wiring diagram but honestly that doesnt tell you which wire connects to which. All and any advice is greatly appreciated.

More bike info
-1972 Honda CT70. 72cc 4-stroke 3-speed semiauto tranny. trail bike was originally street legal but all the electronics have been stripped away except for headlight which i re-bought

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
A proper wiring diagram should have a color code for the wires somewhere. Having four wires, my best guess is that two are ground, one for high beam and one for low beam. Some experimentation and elimination of the wrong possibilities will be needed if you cant find the colors on the diagram.

If the bike has a 6 volt system, hopefully you are using a 6-volt battery. :)

You will have to hook the battery up to a proper charger at the same voltage as the battery to give it the initial charge.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
If the battery is a flooded type, it won't work without the acid electrolyte. The original battery was a flooded type, and had small caps that you could remove to fill the cells, and lines on the side to show how full it should be. If the new battery looks like this, you'll need to find a local battery dealer, like Batteries+, to fill and charge it for you.
On the headlamp, green is ground, white is low beam, and blue is high beam - that's the Honda standard color set. I have no idea what the red wire is for, unless it is for the high beam indicator. There should be matching color wires in the bucket. If they were cut back, they'll route into the handlebars, to go to the switches, assuming they're still there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts