Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda Shadow 750

I am curious as to which of these two bikes you would consider to be the better beginners bike.I have narrowed it down to these two bikes because of budget and seating posture. I do not plan on long distance trips anytime soon as I want to become as proficient as possible before attempting long runs. I am 5’8” and 190lbs also.
The Honda shadow for as far as I can tell has the longevity to be a great long term bike. I have a co worker who has put over 100k on his shadow and has no complaints. I don’t know anyone who owns or has ever owned a KLR. I will be buying used whenever I decide. I appreciate y’all!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kawasaki KLR 650
Honda Shadow 750

I am curious as to which of these two bikes you would consider to be the better beginners bike.I have narrowed it down to these two bikes because of budget and seating posture. I do not plan on long distance trips anytime soon as I want to become as proficient as possible before attempting long runs. I am 5’8” and 190lbs also.
The Honda shadow for as far as I can tell has the longevity to be a great long term bike. I have a co worker who has put over 100k on his shadow and has no complaints. I don’t know anyone who owns or has ever owned a KLR. I will be buying used whenever I decide. I appreciate y’all!
The klr is a great bike- I have one and they are fun and reliable. However, at 5'8 you might have trouble putting both feet on the ground. This is extra important for newer riders. The shadow has a much lower seat height, making touching the ground much easier.
P.s.- I'm about the same height and can't put both feet on the ground

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'm 5' 8" (1.70m) and 200 lb (85 kg). I've had two Suzuki Boulevard M50s and a Honda ST1100. The Suzuki C50s/M50s are similar in size/layout to the Shadow. The ST1100 was a little higher for my length challenged inner leg but a great performer (200 kmphr/125 mph, and at legal road speed gave well over a 500 km range ( 300 mile). I'd recommend looking in the Honda Shadow 750/Suzuki C50, M50/Kawasaki Vulcan 900 area. The Kawasaki is the most powerful (not by much), and the Shadow is the least powerful of the three and a little heavier than the Suzuki M50.

But try to get a ride on anything in that range, trial rides are great, try everything.

I also got a trial ride on a Hyosung ST7 when they were first introduced, nice mid sized, 650 cc, cruiser but the engine was a little higher revving because it was a carry over from the Hyosung 650 sports bike.

Google 'motorbike ergonomics', there's a site which shows your seating position on various bikes - you need your height and inside leg measurements). Someone on the forum might know the website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts