Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody help me identify the make of this motorcycle. The picture was taken in the Netherlands between 1945 and 1950 (roughly). It's my grandmother with my mon and aunt in the picture. My granddad was a motorcycle nut. He was always thinking about the next one, even before the new one was in his garage :) Because of the sun reflection I can't make out the make of the bike.
Thanks,
Eddy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think he painted the name on the tank, replaced the exhaust system with cone megaphones, replaced and relocated the horn with one made by Bosch and installed the aftermarket spring pillion saddle with grab handle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think he painted the name on the tank, replaced the exhaust system with cone megaphones, replaced and relocated the horn with one made by Bosch and installed the aftermarket spring pillion saddle with grab handle.
Wow. That's really specific :). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
The name on the tank says something like Esquich. That would be my first clue. UK
Perhaps I should elaborate.
If it was a Rudge, it would probably say Rudge on the tank. If it was a Norton, it would probably say Norton on the tank.
What is most likely written on the tank, is what it is. And that is most likely, IMO, an Elswick.
A bicycle maker, that made motorcycles from 1903 to 1921. A search using Elswick will reveal more. I know, I know, no need to thank me. UK

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
Well, looking at what Trials suggests, I'd say he's darn close if not right on the money...

But the name on the tank is more like what UK suggests but those bikes just don't seem to match. The tank is rectangular in one type and look more like a girls motorized bicycle in another but the name does look like whats on the OP's photo...

So if you forget the name it looks like Trials has it. But the name on the tank makes it confusing. Maybe an earlier model Elswick just after they switched from the rectangular tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, looking at what Trials suggests, I'd say he's darn close if not right on the money...

View attachment 67356

But the name on the tank is more like what UK suggests but those bikes just don't seem to match. The tank is rectangular in one type and look more like a girls motorized bicycle in another but the name does look like whats on the OP's photo...
View attachment 67357 View attachment 67358

So if you forget the name it looks like Trials has it. But the name on the tank makes it confusing. Maybe an earlier model Elswick just after they switched from the rectangular tank?

View attachment 67359
Wow again!!! This is brilliant. Thx.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Many of the early bikes look the same. Many manufacturers out sourced the engines. It is hard to get a complete list of all their models. There has been over three thousand motorcycles builders. A lot of them look like a Rudge.
I can spot many differences between the bikes in post number 9 by HC. The original pic shows only one exhaust pipe. We do not know if it is a single or a twin. The pipe is different, but the angle makes it hard to tell. The rear seat is different, but they changed thigs a lot back then. The front brake changed colour.
So I have suggested the name on the tank is the best clue. Given that the name is searchable, and they did make bikes.
UK

·
24,212 Posts
So I have suggested the name on the tank is the best clue. Given that the name is searchable, and they did make bikes.
Search engines seem to keep data on individual searches you make it seems. I did a search on the name you suggested UK and I'm showing the results. So you being in a different part of the world, could you show us the results you get doing a search on the name you suggest. I think it would be very interesting to see the differences in results.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
I will check later HC.
Meanwhile, I have a book called; The Encyclopedia Of The Motorcycle. While sitting in my cage yesterday waiting for the ferry, I found Elswick. Later I did a search to see of I could find a similar pic to the OP. No luck so far. UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
Clear your cookies Larry

·
24,212 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts