Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So I'm new at this website, and I joined because my dad really needs some help finding a carburetor for his Suzuki VS Intruder (1990). Of course my dad being the technology hanicap I'm doing all the legwork. :)

As far as I can gather, the carburetor is somehow faulty, and it's using up the same amount of fuel as a freaking Bentley. We think the carburetor just needs a little rebuilding.

We live in Dorset (England) so any websites or numbers need to be prefferably for the south (obviously) unless of course the websites ship internationally, etc.

Unfortunately it's one of those bikes that's a little worse for wear, but when you actually buy it all sorts of things start going wrong, and it's just draining the money right out of dad, so really any advice on how to improve the carburetor would really help us.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
VS800 or VS1400? Both have two carburetors, and there are a few differences between them. Both have enrichment devices, though, which are there to add fuel when the throttles are quickly closed, and the vacuum rises; the springs in these can get soft, making for extra fuel at lower vacuum.
The fuel level in the bowls could also be too high, causing an overall rich mixture.
Also, the air filters could be at fault, and they are very different between the two models.

Carburetors for both will show up on ebay in the US; I would expect the same to be true in the European branch. You have to know what year they are from, because there were small changes over the last 20-odd years of production.

You may also want to consult the people at Intruder Alert; lots of Intruder experience in one place there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a VS750 (I think :S ) and the only solution we can find at the moment is to get two new carburretors, one for the front and one for the back. Problem is, I must be doing something wrong because I can't find any carburretors on eBay. I have found a few websites though and am about to investigate them now, wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
It's a VS750 (I think :S ) and the only solution we can find at the moment is to get two new carburretors, one for the front and one for the back. Problem is, I must be doing something wrong because I can't find any carburretors on eBay.
Yeah, I should have checked, the '90 is a VS750.
Are you looking at ebay motors, not the regular ebay?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts