Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post yesterday regarding an 84 700cc and you guys convinced me it's probably not of my best interest. I was originally looking at sport bikes and then I ran across this one

tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/4943095543.html

What do you guys think of this? I see 39k miles on it and that seems rather finicky but I plan on traveling 15 miles a day at max. Most of the time It won't be more than 3 miles. Think that price reflects the quality or what exactly?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The price seems low for something that runs well. It looks to be in decent shape in the picture, but that's no indication of how well the engine works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fella told me he made a 25 mile trip yesterday no problems. My main focus at this point is if that mileage on the bike itself is something I should be worried about? I saw somewhere that 50k is an average life span on them. Some dip sooner and some later.

800 bucks for my first bike seems like a good deal but I don't wanna dig myself a hole and that's for sure. I see myself honestly putting maybe 5-8k on it before I buy a better condition bike. I just wanna feel the world of riding out more before I go and drop 2-3k on a bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think that it is a good price especially if it runs well. If the bike is at 39k miles and has been well maintained you should be able to get several more seasons out of it if it runs properly. Make sure that you give it a good once over before you make a decision and if you aren't mechanically savvy it might be good to bring someone along who is. There is a checklist somewhere of things to look for I will try to find the link if you'd like.

C

·
0 Posts
Fella told me he made a 25 mile trip yesterday no problems. My main focus at this point is if that mileage on the bike itself is something I should be worried about? I saw somewhere that 50k is an average life span on them. Some dip sooner and some later.

800 bucks for my first bike seems like a good deal but I don't wanna dig myself a hole and that's for sure. I see myself honestly putting maybe 5-8k on it before I buy a better condition bike. I just wanna feel the world of riding out more before I go and drop 2-3k on a bike.
I am not calling the guy a lier or anything because chances are he is telling the truth about taking a 25 mile ride on it. But, I would not take anyones word on a purchase I am making. Take it for a test ride or have a friend do it for you.

For me a 250 having 39K on it would be a bit much. However, if you only plan to put about 5-8K on it then maybe. But I would really check it out. You would want to be able to sell it or trade it in on another bike when your done with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats Crazy!

I googled motorcycle forum's just so I can ask the same questions, about the same bike lol. I live in the St. Pete area.

I have been looking to buy a bike, and saw this one as a good starter bike. Did you see the 07 250. It seems pretty good as well. This guy gives me an uneasy feeling for some reason.

I am looking to buy a bike in the next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL nice dude. I'm actually in the process of selling my gaming PC rig for a bike. I saw that 07 and it's nice but my budget is a bit tight. But crazy dude, small world lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, small world, lol.

If you ever want to meet up in the area leat me know. I don't know anyone that rides so it would be nice.

I should be getting my bike in the next week or two. I totally get the tight budget! I'm looking between $800-$1500. If you want, send me a personal message and I'll give you my email.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
You may be the most decent person on the planet, but I'd be a bit reluctant to give contact details and offer a meet up with someone I just did "meet" off the internet. I'd also be a bit reluctant to ask for contact details under such circumstances.

It ain't paranoia if they really are out to get you.

The listing has been pulled. Did either of you two buy it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I missed it this time. Unfortunately I might just have to start off with a scooter :/

But I actually don't live too close to where that bike was posted. 50 miles out.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
You may be the most decent person on the planet, but I'd be a bit reluctant to give contact details and offer a meet up with someone I just did "meet" off the internet. I'd also be a bit reluctant to ask for contact details under such circumstances.

It ain't paranoia if they really are out to get you.

The listing has been pulled. Did either of you two buy it?
I have met some great people from the internet. I have met a couple of members from this site and plan to meet more in the future. People are, in general, good. I truly believe that. I think l am pretty good at smelling a rat too :)

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I have met some great people from the internet. I have met a couple of members from this site and plan to meet more in the future. People are, in general, good. I truly believe that. I think l am pretty good at smelling a rat too :)
I've met some excellent folks too. It was the post once or twice, let's hook up approach that concerns me. I generally want to take my time before developing trust.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've met some excellent folks too. It was the post once or twice, let's hook up approach that concerns me. I generally want to take my time before developing trust.
I have met a lot of people selling things on craigslist. While in GA I was able to carry my 9MM Ruger, but Cali has more strict laws and higher fees which didn't dictate only owning 1 gun, so I left the gun with my dad back in GA. Yesterday I went to look at 2 bikes that I found on craigslist. I ended up buy the first bike, but passed on the second because it had carbs (Don't want to deal with them anymore). Both bikes were great and in really nice neighborhoods, but before I left I told my friends the addresses I was going to and the phone numbers I had been talking to. Not paranoia to me, but you never know in this world. As soon as I got back home I let them know I was back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts