Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm a fairly new rider who (even though I've read/heard a hundred times not to) wants to buy a sport bike. I really don't know what sport bike I truly want except my price range is below $3,501, I'd prefer to have something over 250 so I can handle a passenger on the freeway, and I hope I can buy something with EFI. My brother and I have been looking through craigslist trying to find something, but between scams,overpricing,and poor maintenance of the bikes I haven't found the match. I think I would be more successful if I simply searched for certain bikes instead of scanning through every listing in the local area. I'm really hoping that you guys could provide me with some sport bikes that would be a good possibility for a fairly new rider like me. Also, please post any other suggestions about alternative ways of finding/purchasing a bike. I'm a little nervous with this whole process, since this is my first bike purchase and my brother was once scammed two grand when he bought one, but I know that I'll find the bike for me. Thank you for viewing my thread and I hope you enjoy your next ride on two wheels because it is so much more exhilarating than four.:D

About Me:
I'm 6'3" and about 200 lbs. I learned how to ride when I was 13 on a 1971 Honda CB 175. When I turned 14, my dad showed me his old 1977 Gold Wing 1000 and told me if I get her running smoothly I can ride her once I get my permit. Well after putting in new fuel lines, cleaning out the gas tank and petcock, and running three cans of sea foam through her, she ran like a top. Well, last year I put on almost a hundred miles and this year I've put on just over 1,000 more. Only problem is, is that I've always wanted a sport bike and the 77' is beginning to run like a 77 (carbs need a good cleaning, need a new fuel pump because gas is being shot our of weep hole onto my leg/exhaust, it constantly needs to have the choke a quarter way out to prevent it from stalling, etc.) 95% of my trips are under twenty miles. And I'm in high school so a sport bike appeals much more to friends. Alright, well there is a decent bio about my riding experience. If you've read this entire thread thank you very much and have a great day!

Sam

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
You'll be looking at a older bike, around 2003 -- GSXR 600 and CBR 600 with a price range like that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey everyone,
I'm a fairly new rider who (even though I've read/heard a hundred times not to) wants to buy a sport bike. I really don't know what sport bike I truly want except my price range is below $3,501, I'd prefer to have something over 250 so I can handle a passenger on the freeway, and I hope I can buy something with EFI. My brother and I have been looking through craigslist trying to find something, but between scams,overpricing,and poor maintenance of the bikes I haven't found the match. I think I would be more successful if I simply searched for certain bikes instead of scanning through every listing in the local area. I'm really hoping that you guys could provide me with some sport bikes that would be a good possibility for a fairly new rider like me. Also, please post any other suggestions about alternative ways of finding/purchasing a bike. I'm a little nervous with this whole process, since this is my first bike purchase and my brother was once scammed two grand when he bought one, but I know that I'll find the bike for me. Thank you for viewing my thread and I hope you enjoy your next ride on two wheels because it is so much more exhilarating than four.:D

About Me:
I'm 6'3" and about 200 lbs. I learned how to ride when I was 13 on a 1971 Honda CB 175. When I turned 14, my dad showed me his old 1977 Gold Wing 1000 and told me if I get her running smoothly I can ride her once I get my permit. Well after putting in new fuel lines, cleaning out the gas tank and petcock, and running three cans of sea foam through her, she ran like a top. Well, last year I put on almost a hundred miles and this year I've put on just over 1,000 more. Only problem is, is that I've always wanted a sport bike and the 77' is beginning to run like a 77 (carbs need a good cleaning, need a new fuel pump because gas is being shot our of weep hole onto my leg/exhaust, it constantly needs to have the choke a quarter way out to prevent it from stalling, etc.) 95% of my trips are under twenty miles. And I'm in high school so a sport bike appeals much more to friends. Alright, well there is a decent bio about my riding experience. If you've read this entire thread thank you very much and have a great day!

Sam
A Ninja 650R looks like a crotch rocket and can run a 10.1 second 1/4 mile at 108mph. If you HAVE to have the sport-bike look. However, it still is very likely to be too fast for a young guy like yourself if you haven't ridden a whole lot. The 09+ models are fuel injected. I'm not sure about the 08 and earlier ones. You should do some searching to find out about the EFI.

I think a Ninja 500 might be for you. It is a little peppier and looks crotch rockety. Here is a link to a Google image search for Ninja 500.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1716&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=ninja+500&oq=ninja+500&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=undefined&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=197605l201824l0l17l13l0l0l0l0l202l954l3.4.1l9

Here is a link to a Google image search for 2009 650R.
http://www.google.com/search?q=2009+650r&num=100&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X7McTuadHaXv0gGo7LS0Bw&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1716&bih=1040

I would suggest that you don't carry a passenger until you have been riding for much longer. I have been riding a lot in the past year (first bike), and I don't think it would be right for me to put someone else's life in my hands on a bike. I'm just not good enough for it yet. A Ninja 250R might be for you. They look just as good as any sport bike. They won't kill you AS EASILY as a faster bike when you get on the gas too hard. Honda makes a CBR 250 now too. Why won't you consider this:?: buy a slightly used 250 sport bike (for the fast looks), ride it for a year or so, sell it for what you paid for it (almost) then buy a 650R or a ZX-6 or similar super sport. It will give you time to learn.

2009+ 250R
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1716&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=2009+250r&oq=2009+250r&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=undefined&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=475761l479200l0l11l11l1l1l1l0l240l1232l2.3.3l8

2011 CBR250R (not sure if I got that name right)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1716&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=2011+cbr+250r&oq=2011+cbr+250r&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=13836l13836l0l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0

·
Registered
988 Posts
You'll be looking at a older bike, around 2003 -- GSXR 600 and CBR 600 with a price range like that.
Sure, if he wants to get himself killed. Going from an old 175 to a 600 supersport is like going from a BMW Isetta to a McLaren F1.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why won't you consider this:?: buy a slightly used 250 sport bike (for the fast looks), ride it for a year or so, sell it for what you paid for it (almost) then buy a 650R or a ZX-6 or similar super sport.
Thank you for your inquiry. From what I've heard, 250's just don't have to power to be cruising at 70-75 on the freeway without having the feeling that you're straining out the engine. But yes I have considered just saving some money and going with a smaller bike, but I've also been advised from a guy, who's been riding sport bikes for 6 years now, that after about a month the I'd put that 250 right back on craigslist. What I'm thinking about getting is a Honda CBR600 F4i. Any feedback on this bike?

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
Sure, if he wants to get himself killed. Going from an old 175 to a 600 supersport is like going from a BMW Isetta to a McLaren F1.
Oh I agree, but if he wants what he wants, then I'll just tell him what models he can get for that price.

Thank you for your inquiry. From what I've heard, 250's just don't have to power to be cruising at 70-75 on the freeway without having the feeling that you're straining out the engine. But yes I have considered just saving some money and going with a smaller bike, but I've also been advised from a guy, who's been riding sport bikes for 6 years now, that after about a month the I'd put that 250 right back on craigslist. What I'm thinking about getting is a Honda CBR600 F4i. Any feedback on this bike?
250's are fine on the highway. Don't go over the speed limit, stay at the speed limit or below.

Many riders stay with a 250. It has plenty of power, and is extremely agile. It's not like that bike was DESIGNED JUST FOR new people. If your wanting to take feedback positively, go for a 250. Even if you do decide to sell it a month later, resell values are great, you'll probably sell it for or close to what you bought it for. It's better than calling the tow truck a few weeks later to haul your 600 away to a junk yard because you are not familiar with throttle control and your braking ability, especially in turns.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It should also be noted that the likes of a 250 Ninja ARE NOT the same as your standard 250 (ie Nighthawk, Rebel) and they can actually outrun standard or cruiser bikes with a larger displacement.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
It should also be noted that the likes of a 250 Ninja ARE NOT the same as your standard 250 (ie Nighthawk, Rebel) and they can actually outrun standard or cruiser bikes with a larger displacement.
Yup. A Ninja 250 should accelerate about as fast as a Sportster 883 if I remember correctly...

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Hmmm.... 6 years from a "buddy" of yours or several hundred years of cumulative riding experience from the people on this forum? Which would you choose?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah, I have seen some "buddies with experience" suggest a test ride on a Hayabusa to someone who has never been on a motorized two wheeler before. Those are the kinds of buddies who will get you killed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Alright, well thank you very much for all the advice guys. I'll see what bikes are out there and I'll put up a picture (once I can) of what I decided to buy. Oh and if you'd like, think you could post what you're first bike/sport bike was?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have lots of insurance, take pictures so the doctors can see how every goes together.
an costly full face helmet, for an open casket funeral.
and most important, dont forget to post when you have "dropped" it, or some woman ran you down.

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
291 Posts
A Ninja 650R looks like a crotch rocket and can run a 10.1 second 1/4 mile at 108mph. If you HAVE to have the sport-bike look. However, it still is very likely to be too fast for a young guy like yourself if you haven't ridden a whole lot. The 09+ models are fuel injected. I'm not sure about the 08 and earlier ones. You should do some searching to find out about the EFI.

I think a Ninja 500 might be for you. It is a little peppier and looks crotch rockety. Here is a link to a Google image search for Ninja 500.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1716&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=ninja+500&oq=ninja+500&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=undefined&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=197605l201824l0l17l13l0l0l0l0l202l954l3.4.1l9

Here is a link to a Google image search for 2009 650R.
http://www.google.com/search?q=2009+650r&num=100&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X7McTuadHaXv0gGo7LS0Bw&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1716&bih=1040

I would suggest that you don't carry a passenger until you have been riding for much longer. I have been riding a lot in the past year (first bike), and I don't think it would be right for me to put someone else's life in my hands on a bike. I'm just not good enough for it yet. A Ninja 250R might be for you. They look just as good as any sport bike. They won't kill you AS EASILY as a faster bike when you get on the gas too hard. Honda makes a CBR 250 now too. Why won't you consider this:?: buy a slightly used 250 sport bike (for the fast looks), ride it for a year or so, sell it for what you paid for it (almost) then buy a 650R or a ZX-6 or similar super sport. It will give you time to learn.

2009+ 250R
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1716&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=2009+250r&oq=2009+250r&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=undefined&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=475761l479200l0l11l11l1l1l1l0l240l1232l2.3.3l8

2011 CBR250R (not sure if I got that name right)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1716&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=2011+cbr+250r&oq=2011+cbr+250r&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=13836l13836l0l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0
My neighbor has a 07 Suzuki GSXR 600 and it is fuel injected. So at least 07 and up is EFI

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

I ended up getting a 2005 Honda CBR 600 f4i and I'm loving every minute I get riding it! I'm having a blast pulling through corners and riding with my dad until I get sore. Thank you everyone for your help.

·
Road Kill (Resurrected)
134 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying it and I hope you are safe with it as well, there are too many updates to the fallen riders thread. Also, to whoever posted a 10.1s 1/4 mile on the ninja 650....you are either blatantly ignorant or a liar. 12.06 is the stated 1/4 mile on that bike and no amount of skill will net you a 10s on that bike.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying it and I hope you are safe with it as well, there are too many updates to the fallen riders thread. Also, to whoever posted a 10.1s 1/4 mile on the ninja 650....you are either blatantly ignorant or a liar. 12.06 is the stated 1/4 mile on that bike and no amount of skill will net you a 10s on that bike.
I was wrong about that. I looked it up again. I'm not blatantly ignorant you *******. I was wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts