Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the deal. I am all about my daughter. She is 13 and Autistic. Chloe loves riding anything, anywhere. For her, Faster is better. For the most part she is Non-verbal. Although when we ride (Utv/Car) she likes to yell "GO FAST!" We take multiple rides daily.

I have always loved and rode bikes. Chloe loves to ride I switched from an ATV to a UTV. Specifically because she does not want to hold onto me.

I need to see what options are available that would allow us to ride safely. I should say "Reasonable priced" (3k or below) options. I see some bikes have an armrest type of setup for the passenger. That may be an option. Although I typically see this on large"Cruiser" type bikes. Those don't appeal to me. I have recently been looking at Sidecar bikes,,,,, Just not sure if I would like that or not. Trikes just seem to expensive.

A buddy turned me on to Ural's. The reviews are pretty bad. I'm also not much of a wrencher.

I am hopeful some of you can point me in the right direction for my search.

Thank you in advance for any help
Chloe's daddy
Bryan

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Well, you're leaving a bit narrow of a window, there. Honestly, even setting aside my own biases, a cruiser or tourer are going to get the closest to your target. You're very unlikely to ever see a rocket with a sissybar ( I've never seen one ), and cruisers / tourers are more than capable of "going fast".

As for side cars....I don't really care for those, myself, but it's your money, and your experience. Do as you wish. But again, that's still best suited for a cruiser or tourer, than anything else. I don't know of any other style of bike that reasonably accommodates one.

Tourers have basically all the things you are looking for, except low price ( unless maybe you get get one off a private seller for pennies on the dollar ). The only downside is that they're also heavier. So you may possibly find yourself hitting the bricks at the gym for a while, to build up those leg muscles. But your daughter will be perfectly comfortable on the backseat. And you can jam to the radio! So...there's that.

Trikes are literally just tourers with 2 back tires. This means no concern about the weight, because you don't have to support it with your legs while stopped. Also, the inclusion of a reverse gear can be quite nice. Especially if you're not especially strong in the legs. But, as you pointed out....pricey. More so than the 2 wheeled variant, because of the work put into modding it INTO a trike. Harley sells a factory built trike, but it costs more than a Mustang, at $30K MSRP ( literally 10x the budget you set... )

So, basically...you're going to have to give, somewhere. But based on your criteria, I'd say your best options are:

1: Trike
2: Tourer
3: Cruiser

But if you're SERIOUS about a $3K budget, I'd have to suggest a cruiser. It's the only way to reasonably hit your marks, with that budget.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I would see the option being a sidecar. There are a number of choices available on Ebay, occasionally on CL, or you could see if you can find some hobbyist who would make one for whatever bike you had. Also, Hannigan makes sidecars for many makes of bikes. The problem is that (as if you didn't know this already) the less money you have to spend, the fewer your choices.

With a 3K budget, you would have to go used. The problem is finding a suitable bike that with sidecar would be for that amount of $. The bike would probably be from the 60s or 70s when there were more available. An older bike may not be a problem if you don't plan on going much distance from your home.

--

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sounds like you need a cruiser, lots of choices and then what about fitting it with something like this? It's a cheap trunk box ex eBay, fits on a luggage rack and has wrap around backrest for your pillion - I completed mine for about $US250 and that included shipping half way around the world and having special brackets made. Much like the trunk boxes on tourers you are probably thinking of.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23474&d=1443762525

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You needs to pay some money to complete this. I think 250 bucks is a good deal for you to do it.
Have done, fitted a pair of saddlebags the bike came with, the dealer had sold the sissy bar and luggage rack from my bike in order to move another bike. I got the side brackets cut from 1/4" aluminium and now have the top box and saddlebags fitted. I think it looks better, the saddlebags hide a lot of the bracket - see my avatar.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Looks pretty good Steve.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The wife loves it, the wrap around backrest gives her a feeling of more security. It's large enough for a full helmet, jacket and gloves and I've put a couple of cupboard drawer handles on the side of it so she has something to hold on to as well if she feels like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts