Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 1300s and the light output is terrible. I have a silver star bulb right now. I removed the old light bar when I installed integrated mirrors. I like the cleaner look. I have been putting this off long enough. Hid led I don't care. The brighter the better. Don't really want to spend more than $200 though. I would like a quality setup. Also don't want to consume much battery since I'm running heated gear. Looking for suggestions. Thanks

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
The Silverstar Ultra is even brighter than the standard Silverstar, so that is an option.
Plus, there are LED headlights available for reasonable prices, and the one in the thread shared above me appears to be even brighter than the Silverstar Ultra. You'll just have to look around for a supplier.

I shall be looking for a supplier as well, because the brighter, the better is my thoughts, like yours. Though I should probably wait until I have my new (to me) bike, in the event that it does not take an H4 bulb.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
I have a NAOLED M3H Super bright 2500 Lumes for the Yammie. I got it from Paradise Lights in KY. It comes with several different bases. You install the base you need and then it is plug and play.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ultra is what I'm using now. It's nowhere near what I want in brightness.

The Silverstar Ultra is even brighter than the standard Silverstar, so that is an option.
Plus, there are LED headlights available for reasonable prices, and the one in the thread shared above me appears to be even brighter than the Silverstar Ultra. You'll just have to look around for a supplier.

·
9,208 Posts
Guessing that you want something on the order of a supernova detonation for brightness lol
Cause the Silverstar Ultra seems pretty damn bright to me, when compared to stock.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I thought about using Silverstar bulbs for a while, but was put off by there very short lamp life.. I had them in my car a few years ago & they seemed to have died in just a couple of months :(

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
HIDs are great, the only problem is they require special projectors otherwise you will blind any oncoming traffic. The headlight on your VTX would need to be swapped out. I don't know the quality, but it looks like you can get replacement headlight lenses with projectors on eBay for $100-150. Factor in another $50 or so for a HID kit and you should be able to get in under $200 if you don't mind doing a little DIY rewiring.

·
Visionary
4,664 Posts

·
9,208 Posts
I thought about using Silverstar bulbs for a while, but was put off by there very short lamp life.. I had them in my car a few years ago & they seemed to have died in just a couple of months :(
I have never had any issue with them having a shorter lifespan. I've used them in both my bikes, my truck, and my two previous cars, and they seemed to last as long as the stock ones.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Are those bulbs touchy about how you handle them like the H4 types are? No oily finger prints kind of thing. Maybe that's why they don't last long.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah all Halogen style bulbs are vulnerable to finger oil on the bulbs & the Silverstars are no exception.

From personal experience as well as from other people I know, the Silverstars are very bright but do not last as long as standard halogen bulbs... Read the specs on the side of the package.

However, since our SilverStar® headlights are up to 35% brighter and our SilverStar® ULTRA headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they may have a shorter life span compared to our other products.
Quoted from https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/innovation/education/learnautomotivelighting/Pages/FAQs.aspx

IMO they're sugar coating the 'slightly shorter lifespan'

·
9,208 Posts
I'm just goin by my personal experience with them. And I think the applicable word is may.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts