Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an air compressor for the tires on my bike and hopefully my car too. One of my car had a slow leak last fall and it seemed like every time I went to the gas station to fill it, they said someone stole the hose. Plus, it'd be convenient to have it at home. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks for any help.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I've used one of those portable 1 1/2 hp compressors for several years. I did add a longer hose and quick-connects. It's not good for running air tools or painting, but works great for light duty like airing tires.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
I'm happy with my Makita 4.2 gal. 2.5 HP portable twin stack compressor. It's quieter than pancake compressors. I use it mostly to drive nailers and a brad gun. It's probably too pricey just to air tires, but maybe you can find a good deal on CraigsList.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
I got this little guy for $50, works great for tires and I use it for my brad and finishing nailers when doing trim and such:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/campbell-hausfeld-2-gallon-compressor-and-inflator-1996584p.html#.VOdorjTF-74

Then I have a 5HP 60 gallon beast in the garage for the rest of the tools and I have line in the basement ceiling that comes out near the back window. So when I am building out back and need the framing nailer or something, I can open the window, open a ceiling tile and plug in and good to go :)

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Get the little Porter Cable pancake compressor when it's ON SALE at Home Depot along with two finish nail guns. Sell the two nail guns on Craigslist and get the compressor for damn near free.

Or watch garage sales for an old style compressor but TEST IT before you buy it.

And get a 12v (cigarette lighter plug) "tire inflator" for $29 at Pep Boys for topping up tires, filling spares, helping breakdowns on the side of the road. Lot easier than rolling out the big compressor.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts

We've had one of these for at least 10 years. Paid $99.00 for it. I think they're about $119.00 now. We carry it in our motor home. It has come in very handy many times. It's great for those small jobs, light weight, easy to carry and large enough to handle small things. We used it last year to run our brad nailer while building some steps. We also have a huge one in the garage but wouldn't want to move it.

C

·
0 Posts
Get the little Porter Cable pancake compressor when it's ON SALE at Home Depot along with two finish nail guns. Sell the two nail guns on Craigslist and get the compressor for damn near free.
That is hilarious that is exactly what I did. lol I mainly purchased the Porter Cable for small applications and have a bigger one for larger projects. I did sell both nail guns on CL as they were a bit cheaply made and served no real purpose and were pretty much worthless.

Hmmm, there may be hope for you after all. :) (kidding)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

We've had one of these for at least 10 years. Paid $99.00 for it. I think they're about $119.00 now. We carry it in our motor home. It has come in very handy many times. It's great for those small jobs, light weight, easy to carry and large enough to handle small things. We used it last year to run our brad nailer while building some steps. We also have a huge one in the garage but wouldn't want to move it.
Thank you. I found one at Kmark for $90, $96 with tax, so I picked it up.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I bought (last year) an 8 gallon one, that looks alot like MONI's. Wasn't a Craftsman. Paid $100.00 for it, 25 feet of hose, and an in-line air pressure gauge. Works great! Bought it at Home Depot, after doing a bit of comparison shopping for price and value.

The only other item I SHOULD have bought with it, and will likely pick up one day this Spring, is an air nozzle that will allow me to "sweep" the garage floor when I need to do a quick cleaning from leaves in the fall.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,127 Posts
Although those little oil-less compressor can be used with nozzles, I wouldn't do it often and certainly not for extended periods of times. It doesn't sound like that's heavy work but it is for that type compressor. That's not what they were designed for. Many find out the hard way with a ruined compressor. Use a broom!:thumbsup:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
I agree with Hog. Use a broom. Or, do what I do and fire up the leaf blower.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
the Husky Air Compressor I bought, is NOT "oil less."

Further, heck.......I'm not saying I want to clean the driveway with it......just the 1 1/2 car garage floor!

-Soupy

·
Registered
275 Posts
I need an air compressor for the tires on my bike and hopefully my car too. One of my car had a slow leak last fall and it seemed like every time I went to the gas station to fill it, they said someone stole the hose. Plus, it'd be convenient to have it at home. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks for any help.
Gosh, that is a wide open question.

What is your price range? What ELSE do you plan to do with it, beyond filling the occasional tire?

If you are going to do airbrush painting, a small compressor is fine, but if you are going to try to feed a plasma cutter, you'll need a much larger unit.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Yes we did, they landed on very unlevel ground due to solid rock. Once we got them put together and decided they were ok we used 3" screws to secure them. Steps are not our forte so it was nice to be able to knock them lose if they didn't seem right. I know, for some steps are easy but not for us when the ground is so unlevel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts