Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to this group and hoping to learn new things about bikes and riding from fellow enthusiasts.

By the way, I got into an accident last Jan where I was T-boned by a car. Since she instantly admitted her fault, her 3rd party liability insurance will pay the damage repair and other miscellaneous bills. Everything was good except when it comes to the helmet. I just bought my Shoei X-14 very recently and only 3 months old during my accident. It also has a production sticker of Aug 2019. Technically, the helmet is just less than 6 months old. However, the insurance company, considered it as a used item, and only willing to pay 1/4 of what it costs even i showed them my proof of purchase. I dont think it is fair. If it was a 10 year old helmet, I would even ask for compensation. They also said that the damage was small and can be repaired. They definitely don't know anything about helmet safety; or they just dont care at all. I kept telling them that a helmet is a 1 hit wonder but to seem no work at all. My other option is to escalate this to court, but that would be time consuming and probably costly.

I would like to ask you opinion, because I could be wrong and the insurance company is right. Can someone please tell me if my helmet is still repairable? Please refer to the picture.
Thanks,

Vincent

Attachments

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
That helmet is 100% non repairable, they are designed to be safe for a single significant impact, then thrown away.
Shoei will inspect it for free, I'm sure they will condemn it. Maybe that will help with your fight with the insurance company?

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
They say here to replace it if it's subjected to an impact... but still offer to inspect it.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
A helmet is not supposed to be used even if you drop it on the ground. Which is why most (but not all, which is wrong) have a no return policy on helmets.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I agree with you but,...if you want to fight it, hire a lawyer, go to court, and then possibly lose your case, the choice is yours, and I know it just might "grind your gears", but "I" would take their offer and apply it towards my new helmet. Yeah, I know, that sucks.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,488 Posts
I think Id suddenly come up with an injury.

I'd also call my state's insurance commission and get their opinion.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Take the helmet to them, ask them to get it repaired for you, or have them recommend a helmet repair shop. Think there is such a place? I've never heard of a helmet repair shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts