Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I recently bought a 2009 Suzuki s40 650 blvd with like 6000 miles,love the bike,last night as i was coming to a stop in my driveway without any warning the headlight goes completely out the bike's still running but so I shut the bike off now when I turn the ignition on not only does the headlight not come on it wint even turn over,with the ignition on the tail light and all light up good and in the 10 mile trip home no problems at all..any suggestions or idea what the trouble may be?

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I'd first check the start button switch, take it apart and clean it. I'm pretty sure the headlight power goes through it, so the light turns off while cranking; it could be the switch is dirty or the contact springs failing, and it will no longer make contact with either set of wires. Dried up lubrication can cause this. After that, the wires for that switch go through a connector somewhere, and that connector could be loose. Can you bump start it?
You should search for a service manual, which should have a wiring diagram and cable routing diagrams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd first check the start button switch, take it apart and clean it. I'm pretty sure the headlight power goes through it, so the light turns off while cranking; it could be the switch is dirty or the contact springs failing, and it will no longer make contact with either set of wires. Dried up lubrication can cause this. After that, the wires for that switch go through a connector somewhere, and that connector could be loose. Can you bump start it?
You should search for a service manual, which should have a wiring diagram and cable routing diagrams.
You were exactly right my brother,when parking the bike that night I turned the handlebars hard rt and in doing so pull loose the connection going to the starter.after seeing your suggestion and a day and a half contemplating the worst. I took off the tank and followed the wires I realized it was as simple as plugging both ends of the connector after which she fired rt up and no prob since.i did reroute the wires so it would have more slack..

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,808 Posts
You were exactly right my brother,when parking the bike that night I turned the handlebars hard rt and in doing so pull loose the connection going to the starter.after seeing your suggestion and a day and a half contemplating the worst. I took off the tank and followed the wires I realized it was as simple as plugging both ends of the connector after which she fired rt up and no prob since.i did reroute the wires so it would have more slack..

Rick hits another one out of the park. Glad you found the problem and fixed it. Thank you for letting us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts