Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, new here.

in short i had a supermoto 400 as first bike, then downgraded to a 2010 ninja 250.
i thought i could handle the 400s height, but after about a month i just couldnt. newbie mistake
my ninja is 10 years old so looking for something else. like a 2019 yamaha v star 250
i like the gas mileage, reliability and the low seat height.
long story short its discounted at $3000 plus tax and reg fees.
i went in today and AFTER they checked my credit i learned there is a $1495 ADM fee?
many years ago i dont think there was an adm fee.
anyhow, i walked out. or is that adm fee reasonable? any bike i look at now will have that fee?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw the explantion i was given for the ADM fee is that japanese bikes are shipped to the US in boxes.
so they need to be assembled here and i can understand the $1500 it probably would cost.
but im not paying $4500 otd for a 250 ($500 for my trade in a a couple more hundred off the bike cost)
last time i bought a bike was 2010, am i being unreasonable?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,281 Posts
btw the explantion i was given for the ADM fee is that japanese bikes are shipped to the US in boxes.
so they need to be assembled here and i can understand the $1500 it probably would cost.
but im not paying $4500 otd for a 250 ($500 for my trade in a a couple more hundred off the bike cost)
last time i bought a bike was 2010, am i being unreasonable?
That adman fee is PURE PROFIT. Don't be fooled. I'd walk on that deal

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
21,821 Posts
Well, I can see their point. There is some work required to get a bike roadworthy. But not that much. $100-$200 would be tops but they should hide that in the floor price. So I'd talk to them or find another dealer. Does it have to be a Yamaha? Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki all have good bikes. Also keep an open mind to a near new bike(used). In fact that might be why you never saw that fee before, because you bought used. But yes, they have that fee and normally they hide it. So anytime you see it listed separately it is pure profit. Assembly is work but what else do they have to do in winter. Talk or walk.

·
Visionary
3,823 Posts
That fee is excessive. If it was $500 I might have understood, but $1500 fee on a $3000 bike? That's crazy! Unless you absolutely have to buy brand new look for a used bike with low miles, you'll save a lot
Are you sure you want another 250? If you like the Vstar 250 check out a Vstar 650 as well, still very low but much more powerful. They are plentiful on the used market.

·
7,774 Posts
I might have missed something but where do you live, city and state. This info may help us help you. I have bought and sold many bikes and the only important thing on buying a new bike is the 'Out the door' price, otherwise you can't compare realistically. Dealers play games especially with on line sales.

Here is an add from the dealer where I bought my 2018 Indian Scout:

Cycletrader has many adds for the V-Star 250 by the way.

Welcome to the forum.

Sam :giggle:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You did the right thing. Walked out. If this is something every dealer in the state charges, I'd look across the state line or look at a near new used bike. To save $1500, I'd travel a little ways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im in los angeles.
yeah i wasnt going to pay that much. i just ride occasionally so not looking into spending too much. 4k otd tops
maybe ill look or used

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look for a high volume dealer. I am lucky that here in West Virginia, I have two dealers close by that don’t charge fees, and are under msrp on the price. I’m currently looking at a Kawasaki z400abs and by the time I apply my motorcycle show credit I’ll be under msrp after taxes and two year tags. Do your research, it pays to shop around. Just my two cents.
Cheers, Aaron

·
7,774 Posts
I have bought bikes from this dealer and their prices and specials are amazing:

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
21,821 Posts

Take Porky's advice. He used to live in that area.
Even tried to hurt himself racing out in the desert.

Reactions: Porky

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
But failed, he kept landing on his head and damaging the landscape. badabing. :)

I will be here all week.

·
American Legion Rider
21,821 Posts
he kept landing on his head and damaging the landscape.
Now that's funny but you don't see him denying it either do you.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
The dealers prep charge on my bike was $300. But that was 14 years ago, may have gone up since then. I was able to get the fee waived and a reduction off the MSRP by paying in full and in cash.

·
American Legion Rider
21,821 Posts
The dealers prep charge on my bike was $300. But that was 14 years ago, may have gone up since then. I was able to get the fee waived and a reduction off the MSRP by paying in full and in cash.
Guessing that would be close to $3,000 in today's economy. Not likely to wave that much but it's possible.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I was thinking inflation doubled in that time. I think it was the national debt that went up 1000%. Obama ?

·
American Legion Rider
21,821 Posts
I was thinking inflation doubled in that time. I think it was the national debt that went up 1000%. Obama ?
I think you are correct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts