Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I currently am looking for a lightweight (under 400lbs) bike as a second motorcycle, for backroads and something easy to throw on the hitch carrier and take along on trips. I have ridden street bikes for the past 20 years, started off on cruisers, had a victory hammer, and a goldwing. I now ride a 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT, and really enjoy it. I really like the look and upright seating position of naked bikes. I was initially looking at at KTM 390 duke (can get a great deal from local dealer), i do like the Honda cb300r as well, but since I haven't been able to test ride what are your thoughts and experiences with them or any others.
Thank you for any help or comments.

American Legion Rider
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us馃榿

You must not want to do any real offroad riding if those two bikes
are your first choices. Not with the fenders that close to the wheels.
Or were those just examples of smaller bikes and you are wanting
suggestions for offroad bikes that are similar? I can't help, just
offering the question.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
No, not interested in off-road, street bikes only. Pretty much looking for the most performance oriented bike under 400lbs. I don鈥檛 have much experience with small displacement motorcycles other than the 250 rebels they had at the msf course 18 years ago. I really looking for a fun lightweight bike that handles well and has enough power to be fun.
Thanks

Premium Member
Light weight, KTM 390. Small bike of the year, Kawasaki Ninja 400. The Yamaha 400 single also looks cool, but will be slower than the other two.
If light weight is the major factor, then the 320 pound KTM wins.

UK

American Legion Rider
I currently am looking for a lightweight (under 400lbs) bike as a second motorcycle, for backroads and something easy to throw on the hitch carrier and take along on trips.
No, not interested in off-road, street bikes only.
Well don't ride backroads in Texas because many turn to gravel,
then dirt, then cow path dirt. Not all of them but enough to make
me question going further sometimes. I've made many awkward
U-turns sorta, but somehow managed to reverse my course.
Having offroad bike would have been an advantage in other words.
But I get where you are coming from or looking for now.(y) (y) (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I鈥檓 in the panhandle of West Virginia, no dirt roads left around here. Thanks for the advice.

Registered
Just going to suggest steering clear of the KTM 390s, never heard anything good in terms of reliability, as they are built in india.
Cbr300's I've heard also have some engine issues, probably not as bad as the KTM.

If you wanted a performance bike, i'd suggest a kawi, either a 300 or 400..or an R3..or if you really want to go crazy perhaps the old ninja 500(not sure if its under 400lbs)?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I pulled the trigger on a Kawasaki z400abs. Man, what a fun little bike, can鈥檛 wait to get break in finished, picked it up today and put about 65 miles on it. Thanks for all your opinions and help.
Cheers,
Aaron

Registered
It's a Kawasaki with 65 miles, it's broke in ride it like you stole it! It's a Ninja without fairings, great little bike, you are going to have some fun!

Registered
If I was putting a bike that weighed 400 lbs on one of those receiver mounted carriers, I'd want the carrier to be rated for 800lbs and the receiver to be rated for 1000 and I'd be really leery of anything made of Chinese steel. It's not just the bike you lose when a fatigue crack snaps, there's some serious liability issues there.

American Legion Rider
Well, I pulled the trigger on a Kawasaki z400abs. Man, what a fun little bike, can鈥檛 wait to get break in finished, picked it up today and put about 65 miles on it. Thanks for all your opinions and help.
Cheers,
Aaron

Have fun but ride safely too.(y) (y) (y)

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
Great have fun get out and ride it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts