Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently turned 18 and really am wanting to purchase a motorcycle. Although overwhelming at first I think I've narrowed my preferred style down to "cafe racers" or similar looking bikes. I found a Suzuki GS850 L on craigslist tonight and for $400 it seems like a pretty good deal.

I really don't know much about motorcycles (I'm trying to fix that) so I'm trying to learn as much about them before making a purchase. But I don't want this seemingly good deal to slip through my fingers.

So here's what I know about the bike...
•It's $400
•It's a 1979
•It's a Suzuki GS 850 L

The sellers description is as follows: "needs a little work ran good till coil wires went bad there is a hundred lien on title so title is obtainable 400 or best offer"

After seeing the post I wanted to establish contact so I sent him an email asking how many miles were on it and he quickly responded with: "Almost 35000 has new head base and valve cover gaskets". As I said he responded quickly, which means if there's any questions I need to ask I should get a quick answer which is a big plus in my book!

So as you can see the bike needs some work and I think those are high miles for a motorcycle. However I'm a motorcycle noob so I don't know what talking about. Any advice, whether general advice or advice directed towards this bike, would be greatly appreciated!

(I will post the picture of the bike from the ad tomorrow when I have access to a computer!)

-Thank you for your time!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It sounds like it doesn't run, and it doesn't have a clear title.

It might make an interesting yard ornament, but if you plan on riding, it's best if the motorcycle runs and you can actually register it in your name.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yes I agree with dod. Lien on title which mrans guy is going to probably want the money to pay off lien. It could be months before dmv sends title. Lots of scams on Craigslist and ebay in my opinion. Id be very leary. I wouldnt pay no money till he has title in hand

1 - 4 of 4 Posts