Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for looking at my post.
- Alex

Anyways I've been wanting to ride since I was young and my father had a ninja 650 (I believe, definitely wasn't a 250) and I was curious is to what would be recommended for bike wise. I have done my research and watched enough YouTube videos on everything from gear, safety, operating the bike, and last but not least of course looked into the MSF classes (definitely taking) and such. i'm 5ft 10 and 170 pounds. i'm far from immature and currently serving in the USMC. so me speeding on a bike like an idiot isn't in my goals. I've been looking at CBR 600`s, 500's and GSXR 600`s. most people say a ninja 250 is a good starter bike but am not gunna spend the 3k it costs to get a 250 when im most likely going to grow out of it quickly. i rode dirt bikes but I don't really count that against anything skill wise with a motorcycle. if you could give me feed back on anything and everthing about bikes and or just skill in general itd be helpful. Thanks in advance

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
For a new rider, I would recommend a motorcycle with a single or twin engine, that fits comfortably, is not too heavy, and that is suitable for the type of riding that will be done most.

The 600-series sport motorcycles are four cylinders, and I would advise against starting on one. The 650 or 500 cc sport and naked motorcycles are great for most newer riders, because they have twin cylinder engines. They generally have a more upright riding position which may help with fine control of the motorcycle.

Cruisers up to about 500 pounds are decent to learn on.

Dual sport motorcycles are ideal, especially for taller riders. They can take being dropped moderately without too much damage.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Don't discount the dirt riding you have done. If you know how to ride and operate a bike, then l wouldn't hesitate to scoot up to a Ninja 500 or an SV650. I would wait off before getting on a 600 inline 4 though, as Dodsfall suggested.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you are going to keep the bike for a while look at 600-800 cc for something that fits you. I went with a 750 cruiser and have been happy, however after many years I am looking for something bigger, but do not regret the starter bike size.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my first bike earlier this year. It is a 2009 Yamaha fz6r that has been turned into a naked street fighter. I took the basic rider course through the state, got my "M" endorsement and have put about 7000 miles on the bike so far. I am 5'10" @ 200 lbs. Although it is a 600cc inline 4, I personally think that it has been the perfect 1st bike for me. Anything less and I would've gotten bored with it and would've wanted to upgrade pretty quick. Any bigger or more horses and I probably would've already gotten myself hurt. I just love to ride. This Sunday I will be traveling to the Pigeon Forge, TN. area with a group to ride for a few days. We plan on riding the Tail of the Dragon and some of the other famous routes in the area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts