Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Newbie1971,

Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I wanted to hear about the mt03. It got me thinking and I looked up rpm of the mt07 and mt09 at 80 mph. Looks like a huge difference.

Mt07 is like 5500 rpm at 80 and mt09 is at about 3500 at 80 mph. About (from my quick search).

MT07 is obviously better around town and better gas mileage. MT09 prob would make more sense if I am doing lots of highway stuff. Leaning to the mt07 or maybe tenere 700 again. Maybe versys 650. Though I seem to like the T7 for the near same cost of versys.

I test rode a versys 1000 before I got my vtx. I remember that bike feeling super light and nimble and fast as I was only riding my dad's Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 classic before that. It had insane power. But I was comfortable with it and enjoyed flying around with it for about 29 min. Thing went from 0 to 90 in no time flat! Was so fun.

Are the riding modes of the mt09 a good thing or a bad thing. If I am commuting in rain, does the rain mode really help?

· Registered
696 Posts
In rain mode the bike typically cuts the amount of power you can lay down, which will hopefully help the rider avoid losing grip. If your bike has traction control the sensitivity may be increased, so it'll be more aggressive when sensing wheel slip.

In theory, rubber put down on asphalt or concrete should not lessen friction, but water mixed with oil or dirt/debris, particularly after it starts raining, can make things more dicey. Painted lines, wet leaves and tar snakes can all add to tun.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here's a review of the MT 07 by Zack..... the best motorcycle reviews around:
Yes! I got that from twwb's comment on the versys. I watched like 10 of them over the weekend. The MT07 and Triumph Trident 660 are peaking my interest now. I hope to go sit on some this week. Maybe test ride. Don't know which places allow test riding and which don't. One way to find out! I think sitting on some will help be figure out if I want a street bike or perhaps the taller adventure bike. Thanks for the input on this forum. It really has helped me sort through all the stuff in my head. Do you guys think the Triumph bikes are less likely to last as long as a yamaha bike?

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Do you guys think the Triumph bikes are less likely to last as long as a yamaha bike?
I believe that almost all bikes made today will outlast their riders if cared for properly but Japanese bikes set the bar for reliability...

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello Blackburn11. Clearly Yamaha gets a lot of votes here, and I agree, Yamaha’s are fine bikes. Personally I agree with FlipFlop. I’ve owned 16 bikes in my life and did the ping pong thing of bouncing from one to another in search of the best bike for me. I owned a Honda VTX, a Triumph Tiger, and many others. More recently I downgraded to a Honda CB300R. Love that bike, but ultimately decided it was too small for me, not only power wise but just in the overall size of the bike. So now I own and ride a ’22 Honda CB500X. I feel I finally found the right bike for me. I’m 6‘, 235#. The bike is comfortable for longer rides, quick, balanced, smooth as silk, economical, dependable, easy to insure, about the right weight to pick up by myself yet not be blown all over the road on a windy day. The stature of the bike is upright like a Standard Motorcycle. It can be upgraded for off road without too much expense. If you really want to get to know a CB500X, read the thread on ADVRider titled, “The Western Tattenback 2020.”. That thread convinced me I needed a CB500X. You may also want to read her thread, ”Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch”. If you have questions about the CB500X, drop me a line.

I understand from a local dealer that prices are dropping on used bikes. You could probably find a good deal on a used ’19-21 model with low mileage. Before deciding, however, look at the improvements Honda made on the ‘22 model. It may be worth considering and will be within your price range. A good price on a lightly used bike would make suspension upgrades more feasible as well. Best of luck as you make your decision.

Oh, I did consider a Tenere 700. I heard, however, they are prone to a problem with rusting. I don’t know if that’s accurate, but do some research if you decide to go in that direction.

I suggest ignoring the ego filled recommendations and use your head and heart in making a rational selection. A 24 year old is going to recommend a crotch rocket. A mature rider will recommend something based on experience. Tell me what is impractical or ridiculous about a CB500X? It’s definitely NOT a mini-bike.

· Registered
75 Posts
At your size I'd recommend skipping the 300's and 500's and tend towards something practical like the MT07 or XSR700. You have experience on a 750+ pound Honda so I think the virtual mini-bikes some are recommending would feel ridiculous. The 07/XSR7 with that sweet parallel twin should provide just the right amount of power and not be something you regret in a few years.

· Registered
9 Posts
What CVT bike do you ride? You have me looking at a NC750X DCT now! I do get stuck in traffic often on my way to work.
I took my test and bought my first bike, a 2020 Honda NC750X DCT and after sorting out some ergonomics love it. The transmission is auto but uses clutch and gears not CVT so you can shift it with paddles if you want or put it in sport mode.
Seems to be the best all rounder with good gas milage that can still fit bags and such. This would be my input.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I am happy that I have been able to sit on a few bikes. I sat on CB650R and my legs felt cramped. Sat on some triumph/indian bikes. Liked the feel of the speed twin 1200 and FTR R. Felt like less leg cramp. Speed triple 1200 felt ok, but I felt like my body was more forward than I wanted and it had a big tank. I also sat on an NC750X. Felt comfortable but felt heavy.

Guess I am not used to the big (high) tank between my legs nor the sharp knee bend angle. But perhaps this is something I will get comfortable with over time.

I did sit on a bunch of adventure bikes and the riding position was nice. I was happy that I could flat foot them all no problem. But they just feel heavy when standing. Granted, I imagine they wont feel as heavy once moving. But the others just feel more nimble and light. Guess that is what I think I want. Should try to get test rides on some. 650's did feel lighter/better than the big 1000 and 1200 adv bikes.

Yesterday I did get to sit on an MT07. It actually felt good. The leg room didnt feel too bad. Of course it had been a week or two since I sat on the speed twin 1200 and FTR R. And the tank and weight felt good. They didn't have an MT09.

Would like to sit on a CB500x. Like the gas mileage. Still considering MT07/09. But more intrigued by the XSR700 or XSR900. Adding Trident 660 to the list (couldnt find one to sit on though). But saw a video of a bigger guy (6'3") liking the room on an MT07 more than the trident 660.

I can spend $10k and am willing. But the yamaha dealer said the MT07 had frieght and setup added to it. Said it adds $1.2 to $1.4k to the price. WTH! Are you kidding me. Is this standard?

I was kinda secretly trying to stretch budget to the XSR900. Getting the slipper clutch/downshift/cruise and like the look. But if I have to add $1.4k for shipping.... dont think I can convince the wife.

Does every dealer add those costs? If I am putting money down to get the bike I want to get the next that comes in... I assume I cant haggle or negotiate the price down at all? Or can I?

I think the XSR700 is maybe the bike I should get. Would be best for 95% of my riding. But cant get over thinking that I will want to get on interstate and let er rip from time to time. Or cruise on interstate for a couple days to make a trip. Or just thinking I will regret and wish I got the bigger down the road.

Maybe the XSR700 or MT07 is the bike for me. Maybe.

Any help with dealership costs or level of negotiation I can expect on a bike that I put a deposit down on would be appreciated. Or more advice on bike type.

· Registered
5 Posts
I’m replying based on my experience only. There are a few select dealers who did not charge extra fees. Covid seemed to change all that. There are a couple of Honda dealers in my area that didn’t charge transportation, but when the motorcycle shortage hit in 2020 and fuel costs escalated, they started adding transportation fees.

Negotiating price is another thing. Due to the supply shortage, dealers could sell just about anything they got in stock. For Honda’s, and I suspect for Yamaha’s also, the chance of negotiating price is pretty non existent. The Honda dealers I’ve death with charge MSRP. I have observed many dealerships advertising on Cycle Trader who mark prices up due to low supply and high demand. Many add additional fees and closing costs to the transaction, which I refuse to pay. I figure the only way to fight that is to not support it. If they want extra fees, I go elsewhere. You might be able to negotiate price on a model that is slow to move, but if it’s a bike that’s in demand, I doubt it. A dealer in Chattanooga will give you a call to tell you they have a bike coming, and if you don’t respond immediately, the bike is usually bought by the next person. They called me about a CBX. I didn’t get the message for a couple of hours. When I called, it was already sold. Your best bet of getting a better price is to be willing to drive to another dealer in a different location - at least that’s what I’ve found.

Just FYI, having previously owned a Triumph Tiger 1050, I was very interested in the 660 Tiger. I took a test ride of one in ’22. It’s a really nice bike, but boy, the heat coming off the engine is uncomfortable. The center of gravity is pretty tall with the large fuel tank, so it seems top heavy. I do love a Triumph, but having a previous Tiger, could not stand the heat on my legs. Plus, to me it’s heavy. YMMV.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Just saw this. :)

Yes, some great deals can be found on the previous gen model, but... understand that the chassis geometry and suspension were not nearly as good as the current gen. If you don't push the bike, you likely won't notice but something you should be aware of as it won't be noticeable... until it is...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I went to see and sit on that 2018 XSR900. It is in very good shape. Felt pretty good. I didn't feel too cramped.

While I certainly would rather have a new bike, the charges the dealership near me charges is pretty crazy. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that an MT07 once they add all the charges would be $9k or maybe even $10k. There is no way I could get a 900 with my budget.

I was looking at used prices on the mt07/09 and xsr700/900. Can't hardly get a 700 version of these bikes with under 10k miles that is 1 to 4 years old for under $7000.

So, I think this bike is a good deal. He has others looking at it. The biggest issue with him selling it is that he doesn't have title in hand. Said he was going to pay it off this week and get title in 2 weeks. I didn't want to low ball or lose bike to another buyer over 200 to 400 bucks. So, I offered $6,700 with stipulation that he put brand new tires on front and back and of course get the title. He agreed. If the deal goes though it will happen in about 2 weeks.

Now I am nervous and questioning. I understand that the newer models are better designed, but a new 900 is going to blow my budget and cost nearly double the price of this. I realize the 900 is more power than I need. But the riding modes could help me ride a bit safer on commuting and as I am learning to handle the power.

I got about 10 days to decide. If anyone wants to convince me one way or the other, now's the time! :)

· Registered
1,145 Posts
If you are happy with the deal and enjoy the bike, that is all that really matters! Yes, the new gen is better but that certainly doesn't mean the previous one is a "dog" by any stretch. I think this is a very good, detailed review - Yamaha XSR900 (2016-2021) Review | Speed, Specs & Prices

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I have watch prob 20 videos about the xsr900. I am getting both excited and nervous.

First, it sounds like I can put the bike in rider mode 3 or 4 with traction control and be safe from throttle mishaps. So that is good. I am not a new rider but am certainly inexperienced with anything like this. I could safely crank the throttle on ,y vtx1800 and just hang on for fun.

So how powerful is this bike really? If I am riding 30 or 40 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear and I lean my fat 250lbs frame forward and twist that throttle all the way (in most powerful mode with no traction control) will this bike really pop up as fly out from under me? I just can't imagine a bike doing that.

Obviously I will be careful and learn to ride. Just wondering if I will ever get out or rider mode 3 or 2. Lol

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
So how powerful is this bike really? If I am riding 30 or 40 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear and I lean my fat 250lbs frame forward and twist that throttle all the way (in most powerful mode with no traction control) will this bike really pop up as fly out from under me? I just can't imagine a bike doing that.
yes it will..

· Registered
1,145 Posts
21 - 40 of 46 Posts