Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New person here. The basics on me is that I rode for about 10 years, got married, sold the bikes and haven't ridden in probably over 12 years. Back then I owned a 74' Yamaha SR500. I recently got a new job that has an AWFUL commute mainly due to traffic going 30MPH the whole way home.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a bike for the main purpose of commuting. I live in California where you can split lanes. That would reduce my commute by half.

I am a small-ish guy of around 5 ft 7 and back in the day the SR500 was fine. That said it wasn't the funnest thing to take on the freeway. It was not geared right for freeway speeds. As I've been out of the loop I'm not familiar with what's out there now. I've seen guys on dirt bikes on my commute and it seems the engines aren't revving that hard though they appear to be 250's or so. Ideally I'd like something manageable and also something that will get high MPGs. I looked at a few of the Yamaha's as I sort of gravitate towards that brand but I know nuttin' about these.

Thanks in advance for any such opinions...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
There are a lot of great commuters available from different companies. I'd suggest checking out the websites of the major manufacturers and see if anything catches your eye.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Man I WISH traffic moved at 30mph on my commute on the highway... lol! Good luck in your search!

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
Why not just get one of the larger scooters if all you are going to do is commute at 30mph? Or are you looking for a potential weekend machine as well? Reason I ask is my VTX could do what you are wanting in both cases. Fact is the gearing in it had me looking for one higher gear all the time. You need to go take some test rides I think. But back to the scooter, you would be surprised just how much fun they are. Would turn a boring commute into fun time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts