Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Fresh out of the MSF course with little experience aside from dirt bikes as a child, I'm looking for really any cruiser under $4000 to make 20 mile round trips to work, and trips from Oklahoma to Louisiana periodically. I don't really have a preference on look, power, or make, as long as it's a moderately friendly bike that'll make the trip.

A few searches found me a nearby used 2006 Suzuki Boulevard for $2200, and I have no experience buying vehicles, but that sounds suspiciously cheap. If I hear that it is a reasonable price, would it be smarter to see if someone with motorcycle experience would be willing to help me inspect the bike, or am I over blowing how difficult it would be to inspect it for myself?

·
Registered
607 Posts
My '08 C50 with 13K miles on it and in excellent condition, equipped with a windshield, saddlebags and brand-new Michelin tires cost me $2750 a year ago -- admittedly a great deal, but suggesting to me that $2000 for a good '06 might not be out of the realm of reason. It would be prudent to have an experienced person look it over, but if it appeals to you I'd sure consider it. With riding season ending in many areas of the country, and perhaps Xmas expenses looming ahead, there will be some dandy deals out there for the next few months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! If it doesn't pan out, I'll look around for christmas sales instead of looking immediately.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Honda Shadow is a good bike and they made lots of them. Pick your size, 600, 750 or 1100. Very reliable with basic upkeep.
In my area, there's usually plenty of them between $2000 and $3000. If it's over $3000 it's usually all dressed out with windshield, saddle bags, back rest(s) and luggage rack for traveling.
I traveled from Texas to Colorado, Wyoming and the Dakotas on a 750. It's not the most powerful or fastest, but very reliable.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Take your time. The Shadow is a really solid choice for what you are trying to do. They also sit low to the ground and have outrageously comfortable seats.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Which Boulevard? That was basically a family name, and you can get them sized from the S40 - 650cc single, on up. The C50 is an 805cc twin, and is an excellent machine in my opinion but a bit heavy for me to recommend as a first bike , and they were selling a 1360cc twin in 2006, as the S83, obviously heavier still.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which Boulevard? That was basically a family name, and you can get them sized from the S40 - 650cc single, on up. The C50 is an 805cc twin, and is an excellent machine in my opinion but a bit heavy for me to recommend as a first bike , and they were selling a 1360cc twin in 2006, as the S83, obviously heavier still.
C50

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
A 2006 C50 for about 2k is in the normal price range and a good choice as a first bike, it's a bit heavy but nothing overwhelming, and would easily do what your asking of it, they are reliable and popular. If you can get someone with experience to go look at it, test ride it, etc that surely would be a good move, so if you can arrange that go for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 2006 C50 for about 2k is in the normal price range and a good choice as a first bike, it's a bit heavy but nothing overwhelming, and would easily do what your asking of it, they are reliable and popular. If you can get someone with experience to go look at it, test ride it, etc that surely would be a good move, so if you can arrange that go for it.
Great, I'll see about finding someone experienced to help me out and go check out the bike. Here's to hoping

·
Registered
316 Posts
As soon as I read the title the Boulevard M50 came to mind. Great bike for commuting (I do 50 miles round trip when the weather cooperates) and can do longer rides as well. My 2008 just passed 40,000 miles and guessing it's worth a couple thousand since it looks pristine and gets regular maintenance.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Be sure you sit on a few bikes to see what "fits" you. And remember at this time of year, you, the buyer, are in the driver's seat. Don't be afraid to knock a few hundred off the asking price.
And it's a great idea to take someone along that has some experience with bikes. Ask when the last valve adjustment was done. (If required.) Some bike owners keep records of when and what mileage, anything was done to the bike. This is the kind of bike and owner you want to find and deal with.
He might not come down too much on his price, but he knows his bike.
If you get a lot of pressure to buy a bike, walk away. There are a lot of bikes for sale at this time of year. If they're not in your immediate area, expand your search area.
Take your time and get what "you" want. You'll be happy with that choice. Have fun!

·
Registered
319 Posts
A few searches found me a nearby used 2006 Suzuki Boulevard for $2200
LOL...was going to suggest an old Boulevard...they are inexpensive, comfortable cruisers.

Call local bike shops and ask if they'll perform inspections. Typically, a $100 gets you an experts opinion of the bike's condition and you can also ask the mechanic if $2200 is a good price.
That price doesn't seem out of line for a bike in running condition...bike may have only been $9000 when new 13 years ago.

PS> If you're not mechanically inclined, even small stuff can be pretty pricey. New tires can be $400 to $900 easily if you pay someone to do it. Between 5 and 10 years tires are considered "aged out" no matter how few miles. Age is molded into the sidewall...4 digits...like 2712 = made the 27th week of 2012. And $200+ for the installation of a new battery is also a reality. If you can't fix it yourself, never buy a harley...$300+ oil changes at the stealer....negative review of a local Harley dealer...robbed the guy for the oil change and then tacked on $45 to replace 2 missing windshield screws...literally 5 minutes work and $2 in screws....$538/hr labor charge to replace those screws...yikes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts