Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob and need some help with determining the right handlebar height/body position to eliminate neck pain while riding.

I have a Honda Rebel. I lowered the stock bars a little and it feels more comfortable than the stock position. However, I'm still getting neck pain in the lower portion of my neck after riding for only 30 minutes.

I'm sitting straight up with my forearms almost parallel to the road with a slight bend in the elbows. I adjusted my elbows to be a bit tucked in closer to my sides and that seemed to help a bit but I still get pain.

Any tips or advice for a noob rider? TIA

·
Registered
257 Posts
I tried different weight helmets and no helmet at all. I did not try raising my bars or pulling them back because I had hip and knee problems that also made riding difficult. I had a hip replacement 2 months ago and it’s doing much better. Neck surgery is this Thursday. I sold my Voyager but may consider a smaller bike after all the new parts are installed and broke in. I hope you’re able to get rid of the neck pain without surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
For a new rider, neck pain isn't uncommon. You are using muscles in a different way than you usually use them. Especially without a windshield. I wouldn't get too concerned until you've been riding for awhile. Like several thousand miles or a full riding season. Then if it continues you might need to look for different handlebars or possibly a different bike. One with a windshield could make all the difference in the world.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
^^^ This.

I've seen several new riders find out that holding your head forward against the wind uses neck muscles in a different way than they are used to. Usually it's just a matter of giving those muscles time to build up strength.

And Glen, good to see you around! We hate we missed you when we passed through, but good to see you're still kicking.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a new rider, neck pain isn't uncommon. You are using muscles in a different way than you usually use them. Especially without a windshield. I wouldn't get too concerned until you've been riding for awhile. Like several thousand miles or a full riding season. Then if it continues you might need to look for different handlebars or possibly a different bike. One with a windshield could make all the difference in the world.
^^^ This.

I've seen several new riders find out that holding your head forward against the wind uses neck muscles in a different way than they are used to. Usually it's just a matter of giving those muscles time to build up strength.

And Glen, good to see you around! We hate we missed you when we passed through, but good to see you're still kicking.
Thanks guys! I should be installing my windscreen soon. I ordered and received the screen only to realize I forgot to order the mounting kit *face palm*

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Phuk, your pains will go away soon I hope!:smile_big:

Then you can look forward to different pains like we SEASONED riders: Back, shoulder, hip, knees, wrists and hands and ones corpulent Arse that never seems to be totally comfortable no matter the bike or seat.:grin:

The 'Golden years' consists of Pyrite, 'fools gold' but at least ya may have Medicare to look forward to:wink2:

I have never stopped riding in 55 years and 85 bikes, even if it hurt a little bit! As long as it's not too hot and humid or too cold, I do fine, even if I don't ride as far as I used to.:plain:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks. I will drop in from time to time. Already miss riding. I'm doing pretty good with the new hip and trying to get caught up on some work around the house. Ya'll keep riding safe. OP, hopefully your neck will get better after more riding. Riding the bike is one of many things that make my neck hurt.

^^^ This.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Thanks. I will drop in from time to time. Already miss riding. I'm doing pretty good with the new hip and trying to get caught up on some work around the house. Ya'll keep riding safe. OP, hopefully your neck will get better after more riding. Riding the bike is one of many things that make my neck hurt.
I'll add to my post then, you also need to ride often. If you don't it's like starting new every time you ride. I'll suggest at least 3 times a week for at least 40 miles each time as a minimum. That's just a wild guess though as it's been years but I do know my crash cause me to have to go thru the neck pain once again for several months until I got where I was putting in enough saddle time. I couldn't even ride 5 miles at first so it took awhile. And when I hit 20 miles I thought that would be enough. It wasn't because I was only doing that about once a week. It takes saddle time and a lot of it is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll add to my post then, you also need to ride often. If you don't it's like starting new every time you ride. I'll suggest at least 3 times a week for at least 40 miles each time as a minimum. That's just a wild guess though as it's been years but I do know my crash cause me to have to go thru the neck pain once again for several months until I got where I was putting in enough saddle time. I couldn't even ride 5 miles at first so it took awhile. And when I hit 20 miles I thought that would be enough. It wasn't because I was only doing that about once a week. It takes saddle time and a lot of it is all I'm saying.
I've only been riding for about 3 weeks but have been riding every day. During the weekdays, I ride to work (short 10-15 minute ride) and also zip around town after work. On the weekends, I just cruise around along the coast.

I'll keep putting in my time. Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts