Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings
I have a question and am hoping Eye will jump in and put his .02 in.
I have a 2003 Harley Heritage Softail Classic ( not a Springer).
I have noticed that when I am turning to the right particulary most noticeable at slow speeds, the handlebars seem to want to almost "Flop" to the Right, in other words there doesnt feel any "Resistance" in Steering Neck bearings . Am I imagining things? or is this possible? I do not experience any vibrating or shaking at any road speed and havnt really noticed this same phenomenon when turning left as much. ( although perhaps I am just not noticing it as much)
Thoughts anyone? Eye??

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
If you don't have one, go get yourself the Factory Service Manual.

There are specific instructions on how to check, and adjust, your head bearings.

It is not a specific torque setting, but involves lifting the bike level, and measuring swing.

It's been a while since I did a Softail, and I no longer have a softail manual, but with one, it is not that difficult.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It's called fall-off. You lift the front wheel and measure how far you can slowly tap the handlebars to either side before the front wheel falls to the side by itself due to gravity. I'm not sure what the spec is for that model, but it's listed in the service manual.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't have one, go get yourself the Factory Service Manual.

There are specific instructions on how to check, and adjust, your head bearings.

It is not a specific torque setting, but involves lifting the bike level, and measuring swing.

It's been a while since I did a Softail, and I no longer have a softail manual, but with one, it is not that difficult.

Thanks SafetyMan
I got a manual, Guess Ill check it out.
I was just looking to see what comments I might get
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's called fall-off. You lift the front wheel and measure how far you can slowly tap the handlebars to either side before the front wheel falls to the side by itself due to gravity. I'm not sure what the spec is for that model, but it's listed in the service manual.
Thanks Dodsfall:)
Fall Off?? Interesting, sounds like a 2 person job?? Or Lift required?
Guess Ill get my manual out and look at it.
Regards
Ed

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You will definitely need a lift of some sort to hold the front wheel off the ground. Unless you have a really strong friend.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You're getting the right dope here. Check your manual but I think your bikes uses the method of putting a tape mark on the front fender and measuring how far away from center it swings until it starts to "fall away" on it's own. Other models use a plumb bob hung from that little hole at the rear of the front fender and measure travel across the floor.

Loosen the lower fork pinch bolts and tighten or loosen the fork adjuster nut until the amount of swing is correct. Then tighten the pinch bolts.

You'll need a way to block the front end up, but a 2x6 and a long piece of pipe attached as a handle will do if you have a friend to help you.

After you've done it several times you'll get a "feel" for it. I can usually sit on a bike, give the handle bars a hard shake, tell if it's much more then .0001" out of line, and adjust the nut by feel. Then take it for a ride and you can tell right away if you've got it right or not.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're getting the right dope here. Check your manual but I think your bikes uses the method of putting a tape mark on the front fender and measuring how far away from center it swings until it starts to "fall away" on it's own. Other models use a plumb bob hung from that little hole at the rear of the front fender and measure travel across the floor.

Loosen the lower fork pinch bolts and tighten or loosen the fork adjuster nut until the amount of swing is correct. Then tighten the pinch bolts.

You'll need a way to block the front end up, but a 2x6 and a long piece of pipe attached as a handle will do if you have a friend to help you.

After you've done it several times you'll get a "feel" for it. I can usually sit on a bike, give the handle bars a hard shake, tell if it's much more then .0001" out of line, and adjust the nut by feel. Then take it for a ride and you can tell right away if you've got it right or not.
Thanks Eye!:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts