Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have a great website information has been useful!

I think I have pretty much narrowed down the bike I will get. I found 2 locations that sell a used SFV650 2013, both for have about 11-12k on them. They both go for about 3900 bucks. Is this a fair price? Do you think that I can bring it down a notch price wise?

I heard great things about the SFV650 and the SV650. I would go with a 2017 used but my problem is, since I am new, insurance is crazy expensive. This SFV650 is only 90 bucks to ensure.

I did also find this one 2013 Kawasaki Ninja® 650. I do not know if it's an OK bike for a beginner. Priced at 5500

Purpose for my bike would be to cruise between traffic in rush hour. Nothing else. I spend roughly 3 to 4 hours a day stuck in traffic. I am a desperate need of a change and a motorcycle might be the answer.

Also found a 2010 Hyosung gt650 which isn't priced too bad. 3500.

Reason I am sticking to the 3-4-5 thousand range is because I have a bankruptcy so interest is 20 percent. While I could just buy a 2k bike, I want to use this opportunity to rebuild my credit. I will put down maybe 1k or 1.5k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.

3 to 4 hours of traffic a day! :eek:

Here's a Rider Magazine [deleted]

Yes, I am not exaggerating. Since I am new this site will not let me post a picture. Friday it took me 30 minutes to drive 2.1 miles. I really need a bike.

I went to go see the SFV650, black really nice bike. Just visit jpmotorsports dot come and you will see what I mean.

I see a lot of people drive the SV650 here in San Diego, I would imagine it may not be that difficult to get parts for it. I think. I could be wrong.

They approved me for credit with 1k down. Interest rate is high but on 3 gran it will not kill me, it will serve to rebuild my credit.

If not the SFV650, what would you guys recommend as an equivalent entry level bike that still has a kick?

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Kawasaki 650 ninja you mentioned along with the Yamaha FZ6R are a couple more bikes to consider in the same category.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
what would you guys recommend as an equivalent entry level bike that still has a kick?
Would suggest learning skills like swerving, throttle control, braking, turning, etc., before finding the kick. Those are the skills that will keep from becoming a statistic.

I'd suggest picking up a smaller used 250/300cc bike like a Ninja or CB and learning those skills. Then when you're ready to move up to a bigger bike you can sell it probably for close what you paid for it and the bigger bikes will still be there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Careful, if this is your first bike make sure to practice a lot before you starting swerving thru traffic. that sounds like full coverage insurance, it could be worth considering liability in the future since the cost is so low. your insurance should drop from around $1,100 a year to 300 or below range. Perhaps not right away, but something to consider when you add it up long term. You would be basically saving 25% of the cost of the bike every year. Once you account for much higher monthly cost and deductibles it's not always worth it. It's always been hard for me to justify it on vehicles under five grand. Just bought my first bike and insurance for full coverage was around 110$ a month vs 250$ a year for liability. If you don't need to cruise at 80mph and it's almost mostly traffic you might consider a 250cc. It will be easier to learn on, safer and cost a good thousand less.. I just bought a Suzuki GW250 which looks exactly like the bike your considering, it's a dead on copy, but with a smaller engine. I paid $2,500 for a 2015 with 2k miles on it. Tax and all it was 3k, put half down, financed half at an insanely ridiculous interest rate of 28% (work injury years ago fd some of my credit cards up). 120$ a month for 15 months + insurance paid one lump sum of $250 for the year. Because the loan was small they did not force me into full coverage insurance either. Basically 140$ a month (120+20ins) for everything for about a year is crazy low, less than I get from uncle same for a military accident. You can still get a 2-3k bike and rebuild credit, putting the same amount down you mention, just do like about 12 payments on a lower amount. They don't care about the amount when rebuilding credit, it's just that you pay on time and finish it out.

You would be surprised how many motorcycle accidents happen at really slow speeds. Just saw a video of someone lane splitting, couldn't be going more than maybe 10mph. Looked like the mirror hit the van on the left or the van stopped and the motorcycle swerves and crashes under the semi. Luckily there was no real injury, but that could have been horrible. I took my bike for a little bit of a spin and I have some experience riding dirt bikes years ago and feel far comfortable riding in traffic just yet. The extra weight feels like it's going to take a little getting use to, maybe a few hours of practice. Especially making slow sharp turns and keeping it 100% perfectly straight at really slow speeds which is what you would be doing lane splitting.

I'm not expert, but from everything I've been reading and talking to people I know, plus on here.. I don't think the sport bike style (ninja, gsx) would be ideal starting off for primarily riding thru traffic. I personally did not like how you ride on them, at least not for a beginner (myself). The high gas tank and super low handlebars just don't feel friendly and seems like they will ride better going faster vs stop and go traffic. You can always sell the bike in a couple years if you want something stronger as long as you are alive. I was heavily considering something more powerful, but I'm doing mostly traffic riding and main priority is getting to and from work safely. If I build my credit with this one, get use to riding, sell it and take a small loss to buy something bigger, so what. The money I'm going to save on lower interest is probably going to offset any loss I take selling the motorcycle and it's more likely I will be alive learning on a easier bike. From what I've been reading it seems like you won't take much of a loss at all with a bike a couple years old. The prices kind of settle and stay there for a while. I found the same 2015 Suzuki GW250 brand new on sale for $3,800. Searching for same exact model / year all across the U.S I find one for 2,500$ with 3 miles, several at 3k with 1k-5k miles and a few in the 2,500$ range 5k miles and below. Price seems pretty steady around 2,500 - 3k$.. A quick search on the 2013 SVF650 finds the same results. Several across the U.S right around 4,300$ on average, found a few as high as 5,900$ and as low as 3,700$. Have not compared newer than 2015, but it appears anything 2-5 years old holds it's used value pretty well.

Money is no big deal as long as you are alive to make it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,350 Posts
Hey they did get him out from under the truck before they left. Truck driver looked pissed.

·
7,043 Posts
Born and bread SO CAL guy here so here's my take:

I own a 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom and the SV650 has basically the same motor and trans, but is even more highly tuned and will flat haul you bacon, with a sweet shifting 6 speeds trans, basically NO VIBRATION, excellent handling and braking, easily 50 mpg, even on the 405 or Int 8 during high speed commuting and the bike has a reputation of being stone reliable.:grin:

Routine maintenance is quick and easy with the oil filter and drain plug very easy to reach.:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts