Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I've narrowed down the next bike. Honda VTX1800 vs Triumph Thunderbird. Anyone have experience about either they can opine with? I like the size of each. Both seem reliable per reviews.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
There is a 100 pound difference and a completely different engine. I would go with the shaft drive on the Honda, but have had some belt drives and had no problems. I know the VTX has no vibration going down the highway.

The VTX isn't being made any more so the prices are down and there are still parts available.

My pic would be the Honda, but I am partial to Honda anyway.

·
8,572 Posts
I had a brand new Honda VTX 1800 Retro, in 2003 so maybe I can offer a few opinions:

It really had no peers as far as torque, Horsepower and displacement, for many years. The acceleration will amaze you as will the top gear passing ability. They are however very heavy at rest but like all big bikes, lose the heavy feeling once moving. A stock VTX 1800 is absolutely reliable and maintenance is easy. Go to GOOGLE and type in the year and model of the VTX you are interested in and there are many, many resources there! Go to this premiere site: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gimf165behWH8cE4r6qCvQ&bvm=bv.110151844,d.eWE

I have been a member since about 2002.

I am also a Triumph fan and had a new 2010 Triumph Scrambler and currently have a 2012 Rocket 3 Roadster and couldn't be happier with their products. The Thunderbird is a very nice and highly rated ride. My only concern has always been with their sparse Dealer network. Join a Triumph Forum for more info.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Porky, the dream old be a Triumph Rocket, however, single income with wife and 10 year old. Thanks for all the input. I need to sell my Shadow 1100 first and then I can get something used that's bigger. I'm just too big for that VT1100.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
How can this not be the choice?

I have this one for sale if the price is right. Unfortuneately I have more in it than it is worth though. I will replace it with a Rocket when I do decide to sell it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
That's the trouble with either of the VTX's. You can just keep pouring money onto them way over what they can be sold for. But they are a great bike for making your own though.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
That's the trouble with either of the VTX's. You can just keep pouring money onto them way over what they can be sold for. But they are a great bike for making your own though.
That's the trouble with any make of bike that has aftermarket parts availability. But the more popular the bike, the more you can spend. Look at HD, you can spend three times the original price on it and still not have it all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is I need to own many bikes it seems! The VTX for overnight fun trips. I think a cafe would be a great city bike. Dual sport? Not yet for me.

I sat on a Thruxton a couple days ago. Man it felt like it would be a hoot to ride.

·
10,756 Posts
Both are great bikes. It really boils down to convenience (closest and or best dealership) and taste. What fits you best and looks better to you. Me, Triumph all the way.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
And what fits you physically. I actually like Goldwings but I've never found one that fits me no matter what has been done to it. The bike just has to fit you or you won't like it much in the end.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
haven't ridden the Honda, but I've spent a fair amount of time on the Thunderbird. Great ride with better handling than I've had on any other cruiser. Basically a cruiser that handles like a sport bike. No problems at all with power either, there's plenty.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
The Thunderbird has appeal because it is more rare. I like that parallel twin engine, too. If it was me making the choice, I would go with the Triumph. But in the end both are fabulous bikes. It'll come down to what you like better after riding them, and of course pricing.

·
8,572 Posts
I believe a member here by the posting name of VITO has a Thunderbird for sale.

Selfish promo: My 2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster is for sale:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts