Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride tonight and managed to pick up a massive nail in my rear tire. Got it home, sprayed the spot and no bubbles… so we pulled it out. It looks like the nail just went through the outer rubber, the tread. On a car, I know that would likely not be a big deal, but how about on a bike?

Attachments

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Personally, I would replace the tire. Even if it's not leaking now, potentially it left a weak spot that could fail at a later time. Tire failure on a motorcycle is more serious than on a car.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The local Harley dealer here will mount and balance tires for free if you buy the tire from them. (The wheel has to be off the bike.)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Cover tune, bringing in the wheel removed from the bike will take a huge portion off the out the door cost of new tires anywhere you go.

That, and you should shop around online for the best tire price shipped to your house.

$300 is robbery for a motorcycle tire.

·
6,484 Posts
Replace the tire. If you don't, you will never have peace of mind, always worrying about it failing:frown:

I buy tires from online stores that will ship for free.

I remove the tire and rim and take it into a local auto tire store and they mount the new tire and balance it for $15 for a scooter tire and $20 for a motorcycle one.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
Exactly.......cheaper this way...
I use balance beads n they work life of tire no matter what the wear.
Doesn't take me a hour to dismount n mount a tire...
Nnnn i know it's done right with no damage this way.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Definitely replace the tire.The nail may have been in far enough to cause sidewall damage,and even if the tire is 300 dollars isn't your life worth more than that.

·
6,484 Posts
Looking at the size of that nail, it seems almost impossible for it to have jumped up and punctured that tire!!!!!! **

** When I was in the Air Force, I had a Yamaha Enduro bike that I rode back and forth to work. I went out one morning and found a nail in the tire that was much bigger than the one in the picture. How oh how in the world can a nail that big get into a tire. I found some interesting trivia about nails--hijak not intended.:biggrin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_(fastener)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Do your own and use Ride-On Gel, will dynamically balance better than beads, and act as a puncture sealant if you have any issues on the road.

Look them up on YouTube, that stuff is impressive.

If I ever expire my tire and wheel warranty, that's what I'll do.

For now, if I get a nail, or any tire failure, with more than 3/32 tread, I get a free tire.

I haven't bought a tire on any of my last 3 new Harleys, and 50,000 miles.
When the tread starts to get thin, it's amazing how easy they pick up road hazards.....

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
It isn't hard with the right equipment, but as little as I would do it, it doesn't pay for me to have and store the stuff. I'd rather pay $20 a year (I buy sport touring tires that typically last 2 years) to have someone install them.

·
American Legion Rider
18,513 Posts
Do your own and use Ride-On Gel, will dynamically balance better than beads, and act as a puncture sealant if you have any issues on the road.

Look them up on YouTube, that stuff is impressive.

If I ever expire my tire and wheel warranty, that's what I'll do.

For now, if I get a nail, or any tire failure, with more than 3/32 tread, I get a free tire.

I haven't bought a tire on any of my last 3 new Harleys, and 50,000 miles.
When the tread starts to get thin, it's amazing how easy they pick up road hazards.....
Not sure I would post such a claim. Naturally all your road hazards are legit. But insurance fraud is a real thing and they are nasty if they find someone doing it.:wink:

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
No fraud... I live in a construction area.

I pick up 3-4 nails and screws a week just walking across the street to the mailbox...

A month ago I was following some workers on the main road when they dropped not 1, but 2 complete doors on the road. A screw or 2 ain't nothing around here.

They have yet to invent a front fender-mounted sweeper so I can get out of my town safely.

If it wasn't raining, I'd go out and take a couple of pics of my neighborhood... no less than 10 or 12 houses under construction.

My whole town is like that. Check the local quickie stop gas mart in the mornings, you wonder why INS isn't there checking ID's.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts