Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at bike the other day and it fit me quite well, so I started crunching the numbers just in case I wanted to consider it. I went on the dealers website where they had a link to get a trade-in estimate. The estimator site stated that they used the NADA guides and NADAs estimate was about $1,000 lower than the Kelly Blue Book trade-in value, which got me to wondering about the difference.

It's somewhat confusing as KBB tells me the trade-in value is $2,900, but NADA uses a low and average retail, but I don't know what that means. Is that the price the bike should sell for or be traded-in at, depending on the condition?

It looks like the site took NADAs low and average values to split the difference, which was a little over $1,900. I have talked with other dealers before about trade-ins and they've all used NADA, but I looked up some other bikes and NADA was always lower. Some bikes it was only a few hundred, while others like mine, were more divergent.

I spoke with the same dealer a couple years back about a different bike. My recollection was that the price of that bike was X, but there about $1,200 in fees. I figure about $400 of that was taxes, so that leaves $800. Freight and a doc fees seem legit, but I'm guessing most of it was the set-up fee. Interestingly, there's an unboxing video on YouTube about the bike I was sitting on the other day. From the looks of it when they cut the straps and took off the top, the only part I could see missing was the mirrors and I'm assuming they'll need to add the fluids, which got me to thinking what's involved in setting up a bike. I've no idea. Thanks for any help.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
With KBB there are three levels low, median and high depending on the condition and there is trade in value to a dealer and then there is private resale. NADA is generally only trade in value to a dealer. At least that is my understanding.

Edit: Well... just went to the site (KBB) and they have done some major changes since my last time using it. Typed in Wingers values and it came back to the excellent level. I really don't like that. Excellent means all original no mods period. Winger is heavily modded, if I was looking to buy only thing I could get from KBB is what the top dollar it would bring not what a good estimated value would be. Kinda crappy IMHO.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,333 Posts
The ONLY thing that matters is what the dealers out the door price is and what they are willing to give you for your bike:smile_big: Simple math:smile_big:

Some dealers have what they call their 'Black Book,' that I believe is a wholesale/ Dealer value guide, which is ALWAYS low because they want to maximize their profits at your expense. The 'Kelly Blue book' and 'NADA' guides are in my opinion more for the consumer and private sales.:plain:

Craigslist and Cycletrader tend to really show what the used and new motorcycle market will bare.:wink2:

When I buy a bike, new or used, I call the dealer and ask for the 'out the door' price and a break down on the charges.:smile_big:

Many dealers play advertising games to get your attention and then add on extra charges that really raise the 'bottom line.':surprise:

The last 2 new bikes I bought, I drove over 700 miles one way for and 450 miles one wayfor the other one but I saved $1,000 on one and $2,500 on the other:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With KBB there are three levels low, median and high depending on the condition and there is trade in value to a dealer and then there is private resale. NADA is generally only trade in value to a dealer. At least that is my understanding.
I think you got that backwards. KBB usually tells what it should cost from a dealer if it's good condition and the trade in price, again if it's in good condition. From what I saw, NADA only gives you low and average retail, which I'm not sure what that means.

I get that dealer tries to maximize profits, but I was just surprised that the valuation on my bike varied so widely and was trying to figure out why.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably nothing. I was on a Moto Guzzi V9 Roamer and found the foot pegs were perfect for me, about 3-4 inches forward of were they are on my Nevada. Then again, it may be careful what you wish for as the seat is thinner on the V9, so I may be trading comfortable legs for sore a$$.

In my dream scenario I could get it for about $6,500 with trade-in if I got the higher value, making it about $150 a month for three years. More realistically if I get the lower value and they add as much fees as they can, it's more like $8,000 or $200 a month for three years, which is more than I want to pay. It's hard to justify even $150 a month when the Nevada still fits pretty well and the Nevada is barely broken in. Plus, I live somewhere I can only use it six or seven months a year.

The V9 is priced right at the KBB price, so you can't really complain about that, but interestingly, it's $1,000 lower on NADA. I'm thinking that's got to be used. I did sit on a CB500X, which I liked too, just not as much as the V9 and it's like $2,500 cheaper, but I'd be back to cleaning chain.

In the end I'll probably just keep what I got, but I'll be sure to keep torturing myself about it.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
I think you got that backwards. KBB usually tells what it should cost from a dealer if it's good condition and the trade in price, again if it's in good condition. From what I saw, NADA only gives you low and average retail, which I'm not sure what that means.

I get that dealer tries to maximize profits, but I was just surprised that the valuation on my bike varied so widely and was trying to figure out why.
I see that is the way it is now, but not the way it used to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts