Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the tubes for that come down from underneath the carburetor float bowl? I have a 1974 Honda CB360. There is a thin tube--approximately 10" long each--hanging down from the bottom of each carburetor float bowl and they're not attached to anything at the other end of the tube. Are they supposed to be just hanging there? What are these for? Air intake? drain? bulk hose?

LisaStreet

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
You're describing the float overflow drains; if the float valve sticks, they would carry the excess fuel away from a hot engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Float overflow drains. Who knew? Thanks!
So it sounds like these are not supposed to be attached to anything at the hanging end. These were just kind of waving around in the wind. Is there somewhere they should/shouldn't drain to if they are used?

LS

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
If fuel comes out those tubes, it should be allowed directly to the ground, not onto the engine, swingarm, chain, etc, where it can do damage. Mine are long enough that they reach below the swingarm, behind the transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that it explains it. Thank you so much. It looks like the tubes on my bike are not original (no surprise there.) They're a clear, light rubbery, plastic tubing. Any idea if this is ok for gas?

LS

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Doesn't matter - it should never see gas, and if it does, it won't be in it long. If the tubes harden from gas exposure, it's no big deal to get more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would also put them slightly to the side of the bike. My RF the drain lines were fixed under the centre of the bike infront of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
glad I stumbled onto this thread - I just found some random tubes myself and had no idea what they were for. One of the tubes had and origin from the carb, and was hanging loose. I was like "what the heck is this all about?" Good point about trying to direct fluid away from the path of the rear tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts