Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad ending to an afternoon out shopping for bikes. Overall, she is fine. Bumps, bruises, small concussion, and 15 stitches to mend her bottom lip. She is not sure what happened. No other cars or objects involved, just didn't complete the third point of a very gentle curve. Some of the good folks here in KY stopped and stayed with her until EMS and the Sheriff's department got to the scene. Best we can deduce is she fell victim to some kind of target fixation and ended up in the weeds. We are getting an estimate from a bike shop and I'd be surprised if they didn't total it. And to add insult to injury... chigger bites! Wear your gear, people! Injuries to her face would have been a lot worse were it not for her helmet. On the way home from the ER I asked if she thought she would ever ride again. Without hesitation, she said, "oh, yeah!"

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,326 Posts
Man that sucks, glad she is relatively okay and ready to ride again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch wow sorry to hear! :( but glad to hear she's going to be OK.

Was she going too fast maybe? Is that curve known for accidents?
One minute she's getting set up by braking and downshifting, the next she's off in the bushes wondering "how did I get here?". The road was not unfamiliar or dangerous, which only adds to the mystery.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I can really feel for her. I dropped mine in a ditch a couple of months ago on a road that I use every day. Only bruises for me but the jacket sure needed a good cleaning after. It was pretty badly stained with grass and mud.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Jess is a trooper, for sure. She was wearing a HJC 3/4 helmet. Might try a modular or a FF next time.

Anybike... we are in Nicholasville.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I guess you'll find out about the bikes estimate soon? What sort of bike was it, and what got messed up on it?

I hope your wife is OK today. Sometimes it takes ~24 hours for all the aches & pains to surface :(

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks all. Jess is a trooper, for sure. She was wearing a HJC 3/4 helmet. Might try a modular or a FF next time.
When I look at my old helmet, the way it's damaged in the front, I don't want to think what my face would have looked like if I hadn't been wearing a full face helmet.

·
American Legion Rider
20,024 Posts
It is always rougher on the loved one I think. Glad she will get back on. When my wife had her crash it tore me up. I wished it was me so much. Later, when I had my crash, I know it tore her up. So I'm convinced the loved one's get hurt more in these things. I do hope you two can figure out what "might have" happened. A little sand or anti-freeze in her line maybe? It doesn't take much.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
The fact that she was not hurt any worse than she was is a blessing. I shall pray for a speedy recovery. It is very encouraging to see that she is not letting this accident discourage her from continuing riding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jess tried a FF, but said it felt weird. Too claustrophobic. Hindsight being what it is, well, you know the rest. We went back to the crash site and recovered her other glove and sunglasses. The pavement was in good shape, dry as a bone, and no skid marks. We may never know what put her off. Shop called with the estimate... $2200.00 just in parts! I'd say the 2006 Rebel is totaled.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Without hesitation, she said, "oh, yeah!"
Sorry to hear about her accident and her injuries. She is obviously not afraid to get back in the saddle, so from that stand point, good for her.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts