Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't tell if it's just the front wheel or both, but they seem to generate a pulsating scratch/ring/squeak sort of noise. I notice it most when I am stopping because the frequency slows, but I can hear it get faster as I speed up and then it's drowned out at >20mph or so. I guessed it wasn't the brakes because it doesn't make a difference whether I'm using them or not, the noise persists. Really I'm not sure though.

I don't have any wheel lifts yet so I can't jack it up and just spin one wheel at a time, I've been looking them over for whatever it might be but I can't figure it out. Ever heard of anything like this? No pun intended...

/09 Ninja 250r

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
That would be the best way to test it. Get a lift and see which wheel is making the noise.
It could be anything from the brake rotors scraping to the chain or wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little tight up for spendin' money so I'm trying to be frugal. I found this on craigs list:

I've never used one of these on a bike before, it's only $30 so the price is great, better than two wheel jacks. I question the functionality though; would it be safe to use this on a full fairing bike? It can't directly support the engine block, and I worry about what the weight of the bike would be put on.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Some over on the Intruder Alert forum have made cheap lifts from lumber and gas pipe. Usually a 2x8 or 2x10 to lift the bike, and a long piece of gas pipe as a lever. Suitable hardware to secure fasten the pipe to the board is required, and reinforcements as you may feel are needed.
You may need to move the fairing so the lift can contact the frame or engine block with either type.
Another solution is the stands that fit to the axle, if you have the clearance for them. I've seen them at the MC shop; can't say how they would work on your bike, though.

Oh, and the noise could still be the brakes; there could be something stuck in a caliper and rubbing against the rotor.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was hoping to not have to take the fairings off to check it out just for time and effort's sake, but I might end up having to...

Wouldn't it be odd for wheel bearings to be making noise after <3000 miles?

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Wouldn't it be odd for wheel bearings to be making noise after <3000 miles?
Yes, it would be odd; not unheard of, but unlikely. Noises like what you describe are usually some kind of road debris or loose parts, rubbing where they shouldn't be. A backed-out fender bolt, for example, could be rubbing the rim.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I had checked over for anything obviously visible like things rubbing on the rim etc... I think I'm going to sand the rotors lightly and check for any debris on the brake pads

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
It could be something in the caliper, but in the space between the pads, where only the rotor should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts