Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a vespa pk50 XLS 2 or 3 months ago, now it won't start.
I've changed the sparkplugs, but it won't start.
What do I have to do so it starts?

·
American Legion Rider
18,926 Posts
Does it have a magneto then? Got to have something to make a plug spark.
Maybe you could tells a little more about it, like the year and what you might
have done to it if anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it have a magneto then? Got to have something to make a plug spark.
Maybe you could tells a little more about it, like the year and what you might
have done to it if anything.
Well, it is a 1989 vespa pk50 XLS, with no battery, just a kickstarter.
And yeah, I don't have much knowledge about bikes, so I won't be knowing how to make some stuff.

·
American Legion Rider
18,926 Posts
And yeah it has a magneto.
Okay, guess we'll play question and answer game. Does it have fuel? Is the fuel turned on. Does it have a ignition switch and is it turned on? Have you tried a shot of carburator cleaner in the air breather and quickly kick it a few times. We can go on and on. That's why it would be best if you told us what you have done if anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, guess we'll play question and answer game. Does it have fuel? Is the fuel turned on. Does it have a ignition switch and is it turned on? Have you tried a shot of carburator cleaner in the air breather and quickly kick it a few times. We can go on and on. That's why it would be best if you told us what you have done if anything.
It has fuel, fuel on, ignition turned on, but didn't tryed carb cleaner.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I don't know
Well, I don't know where the air breather is located.

·
American Legion Rider
18,926 Posts
Did you ever see this scooter actually run? You could have a
rat's nest in the air breather too then so it isn't a spark or fuel
issue but an air restriction issue.

Do you have the owners manual? If not I highly
suggest you obtain one by hook or crook. Most likely any in
that general decade will help you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you ever see this scooter actually run? You could have a
rat's nest in the air breather too then so it isn't a spark or fuel
issue but an air restriction issue.

Do you have the owners manual? If not I highly
suggest you obtain one by hook or crook. Most likely any in
that general decade will help you.
Huh, she actually runned, and yeah, I have no rats at home.
But I've been searching, and I think it's a flooded engine.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,092 Posts
Oh boy I love me a scooter issue! :D

If it's a flooded engine, sometimes letting it sit for a day or two will be enough to get it running. If not, here's some basic troubleshooting I do:

-- Shoot some carb cleaner into the carburetor. One end of the carb goes into the engine, the other end goes into the air box. I'll usually disconnect the air box end then shoot it in. If the engine fires but does not run, it's a fuel issue. Most likely a clogged carb, bad fuel, or bad fuel filter.

-- If the scooter did not fire with carb cleaner, I'd step up to a quick shot of starting fluid (careful, this stuff can get fiery fast). If neither netted any firing of the engine, your issue is spark. Since you have no battery, that's going to be your magneto, spark plug, and coil.

-- If none of the above works, check compression. No compression, no start.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh boy I love me a scooter issue! :D

If it's a flooded engine, sometimes letting it sit for a day or two will be enough to get it running. If not, here's some basic troubleshooting I do:

-- Shoot some carb cleaner into the carburetor. One end of the carb goes into the engine, the other end goes into the air box. I'll usually disconnect the air box end then shoot it in. If the engine fires but does not run, it's a fuel issue. Most likely a clogged carb, bad fuel, or bad fuel filter.

-- If the scooter did not fire with carb cleaner, I'd step up to a quick shot of starting fluid (careful, this stuff can get fiery fast). If neither netted any firing of the engine, your issue is spark. Since you have no battery, that's going to be your magneto, spark plug, and coil.

-- If none of the above works, check compression. No compression, no start.
Thanks

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,623 Posts
But first you have to find your air cleaner. Pull it and clean it or replace it.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I would like to know two things. Does it have spark? Is it a stroke or 2 stroke?
Are you sure it has a magneto and no battery?
Better change that to 4 things.

UK

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Sometimes it is quicker to check myself.
It is a 2 stroke with a flywheel mag. With 2 strokes always check for spark. Who knows what oil and oil mix is being used. A recipe for a fouled plug. When a plug is fouled holding the throttle wide open will allow more air at cranking speeds. But better to remove and dry the plug, and kick it over a few times. If it is flooded, there may be fuel in the crank case. A paper towel over the plug hole will show evidence of this. It has a rotary disc as well, so the carb should be at the end of the crank case, not bolted to the cylinder.

UK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is a 2 stroke with a flywheel mag. With 2 strokes always check for spark. Who knows what oil and oil mix is being used. A recipe for a fouled plug. When a plug is fouled holding the throttle wide open will allow more air at cranking speeds. But better to remove and dry the plug, and kick it over a few times. If it is flooded, there may be fuel in the crank case. A paper towel over the plug hole will show evidence of this. It has a rotary disc as well, so the carb should be at the end of the crank case, not bolted to the cylinder.

UK
Ok, I will try that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to know two things. Does it have spark? Is it a stroke or 2 stroke?
Are you sure it has a magneto and no battery?
Better change that to 4 things.

UK
Well it has spark, and I replaced the sparkplugs, it's a 2 stroke with a magneto.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

UK
Huh sorry, but I am not able to find my air filter, are there bikes without air filters?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

UK
Huh, is the air filter in the carburettor or in the engine cilinder? Because there i see no thing that lets air in.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts