Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dark side for two days, I just couldn't hang I guess. I've always wanted to try it because I go through three rear tires a year but I hated the feel of the CT. The tire was a Goodyear Assurance I have read some negative reviews on that tire from the Goldwing guys but my bike only weighs 750 lbs I could feel the soft sidewalls in a corner so maybe it was the wrong tire for the job. I'll just have to be jealous of you guy's who are able to make it work but I just couldn't do it. :71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
I don't think I can go that route at all unless I can find a run flat tire. I'm pretty sure I need the stiff sidewall so I don't get any sidewall flexing. I don't like the pucker feeling if you know what I mean. Gravel is bad enough and it is that gravel that makes me want to try the dark side.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Three years on the darkside on my Vision. I like it!!
I have been using a Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire -

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Dark side is a rear car tire instead of a bike tire. Double dark side is that same rear car tire and a MC rear tire on the front wheel. Rollin' has also done that just this year for a very challenging IBA ride in extreme dirt conditions.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Oh, l see. Are the advantages more stability, traction in loose materials, distance? It would seem that the downside would be lower gas mileage because you are dragging along a heavier tire with deeper tread.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Oh, l see. Are the advantages more stability, traction in loose materials, distance? It would seem that the downside would be lower gas mileage because you are dragging along a heavier tire with deeper tread.
Better traction and stability on gravel and mud - Yes!
Last longer - Yes
I have not seen any change in my fuel range.

I used my first Dunlop Winter Sport for a trip to northern Alaska but the reason I still use it is the wet weather traction. It really works great in the rain!

Details of the ride to Alaska here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827740

·
Very Famous Person
9,678 Posts
--

There are a number of things that influence how a ct rides on a bike. The most common is the air pressure. I tried 38# on mine at first, then ended up with 32# which is my sweet spot.

Then I realized that I could get more stability by increasing the pressure (which is the pre-load) of the oil in my rear shock. Yes, I had to play around a little, but then riders often play around with exhaust, or seats, or engine mods, etc., before they get them to where they want to be.

I wish I could put a run flat tire on, but there are none my size.

--

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sidewall flexing is what I just couldn't live with and like I said I think I had the wrong tire for the job. From what I've read a run-flat wont flex.
On a side note there was a ride I wanted to go on Saturday so I had to replace the CT with what ever I could buy here in town. I run and love the Commander II's but I would have had to order one so I had to go with a Michelin Pilot. I have a Commander II on the front and the Pilot on the rear, this is the best tire combo I've ever had, bike ride smooth and straight. If I can get 10,000 mile out of this tire I may continue to run this set up. I didn't even have to balance the pilot, first tire ever for me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Dark side is a rear car tire instead of a bike tire. Double dark side is that same rear car tire and a MC rear tire on the front wheel. Rollin' has also done that just this year for a very challenging IBA ride in extreme dirt conditions.
Yes! I used a Shinko 700 Series dual sport rear tire on the front of my Vision for two rides this year.

My attempt to cross the Mosquito Pass in Colorado. Didn't go as well as I had planned but that ride was an adventure!!

I did complete the 47 mile Cheese Country Trail in southern Wisconsin. That was fun!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool pics Rollin! Here's a pic of the road I broke my new tire in on yesterday, I'm glad I was forced to try this new tire out I love it.

·
Very Famous Person
9,678 Posts
It seems that the more you expect your bike to lean, the less you like the dark side.
--

I lean until I scrape floorboards sometimes, and I love the traction (never lost any in a turn) and the softer straightaway ride. I wouldn't expect that to be true of a sport bike, of course.

--

·
Registered
62 Posts
My first DS experience was on my '08 Goldwing. I traded it in for a '12 and as soon as I wore out the OEM tires, I went back to DS. Same thing when I traded for the '13, but I went back to DS before wearing out the OEM, and don't intend on going back to a MC tire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts