Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
My thinking is starting to change. Maybe I should caugh up the extra bucks for the tool truck driver next time I buy some tools.
Are you a mechanic Pulsar?

What l do is keep an eye on what is out there, and l generally buy something every payday, or maybe a few sockets. It is a habit l got into back in my drywall days, and it makes it easier to build a set of tools.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
And FWIW, l hope no one took this whole thing the wrong way. I am not trying to tell anyone to change their ways or stop doing whatever they are doing. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty for shopping at Harbor Freight. I am simply sharing the journey that l am on as a man who has finally found his path in life.

C

·
0 Posts
Are you a mechanic Pulsar?

What l do is keep an eye on what is out there, and l generally buy something every payday, or maybe a few sockets. It is a habit l got into back in my drywall days, and it makes it easier to build a set of tools.
No, far from it. I do minor stuff like change starters, altinators, etc. I do some remolding but it is not my bread and butter. No mechanic thats for sure.

·
American Legion Rider
20,012 Posts
You don't have to me a mechanic hawk. He may just be seeing the truck stopped at his dealer. Anyone can climb in a truck that is park. Or for that matter you could flag one down. They are just independents trying to sell tools of a specific brand.

And Unkle Crusty, those old Ford N tractors have been a good one. I always wondered why they didn't get a bad rap from trying to do more than they can do though. But you sure see them still unlike others. But most will have no idea what you mean about how reliable they are.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My father was a Master Mechanic and had an extensive set of quality tools he had accumulated over the years. Snap-On was just one of many brands in his collection - he always said you can feel quality. The difference (then) with the top brands was the warranty they offered.

His advice was to buy what you could afford and replace cheap stuff with better quality if/when you wore it out or broke it. I had a cheap department store ratchet set that lasted more than 30 years with regular and hard use - the ratchet has been replaced, and about half the sockets, but some of the original pieces are still in the tool box.

If I need a particularly expensive tool (like a 3/4" drive socket set) or a special tool for a once-only job, I check out the used tool places or buy a less known brand name to save some money but for spanners and sockets, I look for quality.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
You don't have to me a mechanic hawk. He may just be seeing the truck stopped at his dealer. Anyone can climb in a truck that is park. Or for that matter you could flag one down. They are just independents trying to sell tools of a specific brand.

And Unkle Crusty, those old Ford N tractors have been a good one. I always wondered why they didn't get a bad rap from trying to do more than they can do though. But you sure see them still unlike others. But most will have no idea what you mean about how reliable they are.
Agreed. We only work on our own trucks and a few tractors. We used to run over when we saw a tool truck stopped down the street. Eventually they just started stopping by us because we had more space for parking, not because we bought a heck of alot from them.

Pretty soon I'll lose my storage space so I've slowly been selling off all my stuff. Sold my last 8N a few years ago, sold my 2000 tractor last fall.... :frown:

61 - 69 of 69 Posts