Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was this last case that got me thinking. You know, my uncle was LAPD many years ago, and he was a state trooper in alaska to. Not one storey he told us involved accidentally killing someone. Not one. sure, plenty of beatings, fights, wrestling matches and such, but no killings. His take on all this is that race and sex (gender) IS part of this problem. its his opinion that the selection process for cops has gotten way to lax due to race and gender and the need to have folks of a particuler color or gende in a uniform, as well as just needing bodies. i share his opinion that the quality of police officer has gone way down. i agree, the woman who pulled her glock instead of her taser is a prime excample of a woman who was put in a position she couldent handle, given a weapon she likely only recieved video instruction on simply because she was a woman. in my mind, its not that she, a woman shouldent be doing that job, Im saying THAT woman probubly shouldent have been doing THAT job. It was obvously beyond her means. PD's need to work on the quality of cop they produce. This isnt a race/gender issue, its a quality control issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It was this last case that got me thinking. You know, my uncle was LAPD many years ago, and he was a state trooper in alaska to. Not one storey he told us involved accidentally killing someone. Not one. sure, plenty of beatings, fights, wrestling matches and such, but no killings. His take on all this is that race and sex (gender) IS part of this problem. its his opinion that the selection process for cops has gotten way to lax due to race and gender and the need to have folks of a particuler color or gende in a uniform, as well as just needing bodies. i share his opinion that the quality of police officer has gone way down. i agree, the woman who pulled her glock instead of her taser is a prime excample of a woman who was put in a position she couldent handle, given a weapon she likely only recieved video instruction on simply because she was a woman. in my mind, its not that she, a woman shouldent be doing that job, Im saying THAT woman probubly shouldent have been doing THAT job. It was obvously beyond her means. PD's need to work on the quality of cop they produce. This isnt a race/gender issue, its a quality control issue.
I'm not sure I believe that taser story. I think it is something some nerd came up with to try and diffuse the tensions that were sure to arise. Who can blame a cop for staying on the job today? The city manager gets fired for saying the cop should haves/her due process? On the other hand, a lot of cops bring this on themselves. They get a god complex and think they can say or do whatever they want.

R. S.

·
THEE Professional Shadow Moderator
1,840 Posts
On the other hand, a lot of cops bring this on themselves. They get a god complex and think they can say or do whatever they want.

R. S.
Or maybe even more often, they develop a very cynical "here we go again, I've seen this all before" attitude toward the people they are sworn to serve and protect, especially in the inner cities. Two of my ex's uncles are retired Akron police officers. They both worked in the downtown area, one of them worked a paddy wagon. They are both good and decent men, but to hear them talk about the people and situations they had to deal with on a daily basis. Let's just say they didn't have a lot of respect for those folks.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure I believe that taser story. I think it is something some nerd came up with to try and diffuse the tensions that were sure to arise. Who can blame a cop for staying on the job today? The city manager gets fired for saying the cop should haves/her due process? On the other hand, a lot of cops bring this on themselves. They get a god complex and think they can say or do whatever they want.

R. S.

and they always get away with everything. One if the the things my uncle pointed out are all thees bad cops getting dui's, domestic violance, theft and so on never pay any price for messing up. They may get fired, but they just get a job at another department. I have heard storys of fights between cops and thugs where the cop would have been justified in shooting all involved, yet no one died. i believe the womans claim, I just dont believe shebhad any business working as a law enforcment officer. That gos for men to, like in the case of george floyed philando casteele and so on.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or maybe even more often, they develop a very cynical "here we go again, I've seen this all before" attitude toward the people they are sworn to serve and protect, especially in the inner cities. Two of my ex's uncles are retired Akron police officers. They both worked in the downtown area, one of them worked a paddy wagon. They are both good and decent men, but to hear them talk about the people and situations they had to deal with on a daily basis. Let's just say they didn't have a lot of respect for those folks.

they call us "turds". We just need better quality cops is all.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,654 Posts
In defense of women, there are cases of male police officers that have made the exact same mistake. I know there are women that can handle most all jobs suited for a man, I'm just not convinced there's enough women of this ability to make a stink over it. Those women will get whatever job they want. My Mom was a perfect example of that. She built campers at nuway campers in Chanute kd, she assembled munitions at the munitions plant in Parsons kansas, and she rooted sewer lines all over neosho and allen county when I was younger.

I think the issue with police is going to get a lot worse with all this defunding talk. Diversity hiring doesn't help either. Then there's the general disrespectful public that does give two hoots about authority.

They've removed God, the pledge of allegiance (not around here), and corporal punishment from schools. Seems more parents than not are relying on school as a babysitter as opposed to education.

My 6th grade teacher, Mr burghart, did a little demonstration on the first day of school. He'd push a 16 penny nail through a 2*4 with his hand, had a 1*6 paddle hanging on the wall by the chalk board with holes drilled in it and made no bones about it's purpose.

Mr burghart was also Santa Claus for Christmas pictures for years, well after I was out if school and had my own kids.

I never saw him use that paddle, I don't really know anyone in that did. But as a 6th grade kid, his lore was so well known throughout that school, you didn't dare misbehave. Other teachers would tell students that acted up, 'do you want me to get Mr burghart?'. This was to kids that had never had him as a teacher, but the stories went from one end of that school to another.

I wish we had teachers like that. Now all we have are teachers that want to screw their students.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Believe me I get it. I tried to become a cop in my 40's. Passed everything, but guess I wasn't politically correct enough. I have been lucky I guess. Only pulled over once on my chopper in 15 years and that was because of the sword in the bitch bar that was removable. It's no longer removable. I don't rev my engine at stoplights or do stupid stuff in plain site so maybe that's why they leave me alone.

R.S.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wish we had teachers like that. Now all we have are teachers that want to screw their students.
I know right???? Where were these teachers when I was in school? I think the youngest one I had was 80. And not even good looking when she was young 80....

R. S.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
The problem with all kinds of first responders started, I think, when standards had to be lowered so some groups of people could pass them. Lowering of standards is never a good idea. I think there are all kinds of people capable of doing a job, but don't lower standards.

Lowering standards for anyone is an insult to everyone that had to pass the previous, higher standards.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The problem with all kinds of first responders started, I think, when standards had to be lowered so some groups of people could pass them. Lowering of standards is never a good idea. I think there are all kinds of people capable of doing a job, but don't lower standards.

Lowering standards for anyone is an insult to everyone that had to pass the previous, higher standards.
I agree 1000%

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,654 Posts
I won't post the video, but there's a youtube channel by Sam hyde that posted a podcast 'female cops' on this very situation. He actually covers it in the first 6 minutes of that podcast.

I won't post a link or video because of language and I know how he describes certain things will offend more than a few.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
I'm offended already and will report you to a moderator! Rod, CR offended me with his implied stuff. :)

·
Registered
Buells, Hardley, Suzuki, Beemer, and a big Katoom
111 Posts
I think that female cop had 26 years on the force, so she should have known which side her weapon was on...

That being said, i could never be a cop. As a combat veteran, I ran out of compassion decades ago.
Someone commits a crime, and its on video, or there are witnesses, they are guilty.
In my opinion, the faster they run, or fight back, all means are justified to right the wrong.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think that female cop had 26 years on the force, so she should have known which side her weapon was on...

That being said, i could never be a cop. As a combat veteran, I ran out of compassion decades ago.
Someone commits a crime, and its on video, or there are witnesses, they are guilty.
In my opinion, the faster they run, or fight back, all means are justified to right the wrong.
Never ever solely rely on witnesses. You can ask 5 people who saw the same thing and every one of them will give 5 different versions of what happened. This is why we have trials..

R. S.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
I do believe the lowering of standards and certain quotas is a contributing factor. My wife could tell you a story about the quota part. She and a male were up for the same job as a promotion and they offered it to her. She asked straight out if was because she was more qualified or because of being female. She refused the promotion. So yes I do believe lowering standards and meeting so quota is not good. I’m glad my wife has her own higher standards.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In defense of women, there are cases of male police officers that have made the exact same mistake. I know there are women that can handle most all jobs suited for a man, I'm just not convinced there's enough women of this ability to make a stink over it. Those women will get whatever job they want. My Mom was a perfect example of that. She built campers at nuway campers in Chanute kd, she assembled munitions at the munitions plant in Parsons kansas, and she rooted sewer lines all over neosho and allen county when I was younger.

I think the issue with police is going to get a lot worse with all this defunding talk. Diversity hiring doesn't help either. Then there's the general disrespectful public that does give two hoots about authority.

They've removed God, the pledge of allegiance (not around here), and corporal punishment from schools. Seems more parents than not are relying on school as a babysitter as opposed to education.

My 6th grade teacher, Mr burghart, did a little demonstration on the first day of school. He'd push a 16 penny nail through a 2*4 with his hand, had a 1*6 paddle hanging on the wall by the chalk board with holes drilled in it and made no bones about it's purpose.

Mr burghart was also Santa Claus for Christmas pictures for years, well after I was out if school and had my own kids.

I never saw him use that paddle, I don't really know anyone in that did. But as a 6th grade kid, his lore was so well known throughout that school, you didn't dare misbehave. Other teachers would tell students that acted up, 'do you want me to get Mr burghart?'. This was to kids that had never had him as a teacher, but the stories went from one end of that school to another.

i agree. its not a race, or gender, its an ability to handle the job. not sayi g woman should not do that job, im saying low quality women shouldent do that job just like low quality men shouldent do that job. that is a mistake that should never have been made.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do believe the lowering of standards and certain quotas is a contributing factor. My wife could tell you a story about the quota part. She and a male were up for the same job as a promotion and they offered it to her. She asked straight out if was because she was more qualified or because of being female. She refused the promotion. So yes I do believe lowering standards and meeting so quota is not good. I’m glad my wife has her own higher standards.

just think if surgeons positions were filled out of gender/race quotas and not skill. better yet, your bike mechanic.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts