Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--

That's right, my rear end seems to wiggle once when I am making a turn and I shift in the middle of the turn, then re-accelerate. I don't know if it's one of these things, or not:

1. The slack in the drive belt is changing.
2. The change in front/back compression from momentum is changing.
3. There is a natural flex in radial tires.
4. I'm losing some slight amount of traction.
5. My upper body and arms are moving the handlebars slightly.
6. Slight body movement is peaking at that time.

Or maybe something else. When I was in Washington last week, I forgot to ask David Hough as we were talking. I mention David as he's studied all phases of biking and may have known the answer. So maybe someone else on this site has studied the dynamics of cornering and can answer.

It used to be a bit unnerving at first, but I'm getting used to it. I suspect it may be that as I've biked many more miles the last few years, I've gotten much more confident and corner sharper and faster.

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
--

As I've worked on it over the last couple of months, I've found nothing out of whack. I just came back from a 6,000 mile ride and nothing seemed amiss. Is there some place I might be missing?

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
--

I just (9,000 miles ago) swapped out the poor rear stock shock for a new GoldWing shock and a heavier (1,000-1,200#) Progressive spring. I also have a RAP (remote adjustable pre-load) so I can control the amount of stiffness. My front forks have recently been rebuilt with Progressive springs and 15w shock oil, so they're not loose.

I think the bike has been doing this for at least the last 20,000 miles. Not sure. The changes above have not affected it.

--

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Ok, I'll address the obvious............

Mine does too.......but it's the extra weight I've gained since I was a teen!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used to get the same thing on my HD Softail Heritage. Turned out that the rear tire had squared off and made turning unpredictable.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Since you changed shocks I would assume that would mean shock bushings as well, and it didn't change at all, then that would rule out my first thought of culprit. Is it the same on right or left turn? If there is the slightest difference I suggest wheel bearing. If not it must be in the primary and I don't know if yours is all gears or if it has a chain like mine. If chain then maybe you are feeling extra slack which would suggest the tensioner(what ever it's called in yours) might be worn or need replaced. Harleys are bad for that but I don't know about yours. I thought metrics had a better solution:confused:

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I would guess the tire is going bad. It's the only thing on the back that can flex if everything else is tight. Might just try putting the air pressure up to what it says on the tire for max and see if that helps.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I just remembered you have laced wheels. Make sure they are tight and true.:thumbsup:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
That's right, my rear end seems to wiggle once when I am making a turn and I shift in the middle of the turn, then re-accelerate. I do
Get someone ELSE to inspect your bike. We've all got blind spots when it comes to our own bikes. We replace a shock and just ASSUME the new one is good. It may be DOA. And get a couple of guys with the same bike to ride yours, ride theirs for comparison.

FYI, don't EVER tell a mechanic (mc or cage) what you THINK the problem is. Only describe the symptoms and let them use THEIR expertise to diagnose where the problem lies. Otherwise you risk leading them down the same wrong path you took!

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
--

After all the time I just put in on improvements, the reliability, the gas mileage, and the cool candy tangerine paint now on it--NO WAY! :biggrin:

--
That's what I said about a month ago with my 109, one day, a weak moment, I walked away from it and rode home on a Victory. I still have boxes of new mod parts in the barn that I am going to have to sell.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts