Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this may be in the wrong section.... but its not a question. I was just browsing the first bike/new rider forum section, and in it is a section pinned about sport bikes.

Now, I am pretty sure that since 2013, the CBR600rr, GSXR 600/750, Ninja 636, and R6 all come with fancy new computers, that have a built in "Select-able" performance level. With beginner setting cutting the power in half (50%).

Wouldnt this make it a great beginner bike? You get a powerful bike, that can have set limits, 50% 75% and 100% power.... What is your guys opinions on this? Is it Great? Is it Bad?

NOTE: I can only confirm that the GSXR and Ninja have this option, I'm just assuming the other 2 have followed suit.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Some can ride a sport bike tamely as a first bike while they learn, but I think most here would advise it's too much power too soon for a first bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the rider is truly a beginner, it is not advisable because chances of accident are great.

I am just curious about the select-table, how can the computer control the power of the engine?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Selective engine output and traction control is not a replacement for riding experience and practice.

It's best to learn to juggle with bean bags instead of chainsaws, even if the RPM of the chainsaw blades is reduced by 20%.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you're playing with fire.
Nah, just putting out an opinion, im open to changing my mind. I'm guessing i got the 50% from a car article... I think its the dodge hellcat challenger that has 2 keys to limit power and give full power...

Selective engine output and traction control is not a replacement for riding experience and practice.

It's best to learn to juggle with bean bags instead of chainsaws, even if the RPM of the chainsaw blades is reduced by 20%.
Understood! But what if they could reduce the engine by more than 20%? What if it was reduced down by 50%? I dont know how that would work, but it could be a good idea for the bigger bikes I think... I mean say each bike is 100hp, 20% goes down to 80hp, thats still hella lot, but 50% would be 50hp... thats on the verge of single cylinder thumpers. i think those are typically 35hp and up.

Like I said above, for some reason I thought they reduce the power way more, didnt check my facts. but i really think the added -30% would make a much bigger difference. Altho Most young riders who will ride like idiots and cant handle the power of the supersports wont listen to anyone anyways when we say they arent really good beginner bikes.

·
8,592 Posts
LT, as soon as your insurance company sees that you, as a beginning rider, has ANY of the 600 series mini-superbikes, like the Honda 600R or RR, or any Ninja, GSXR or R6 bikes, you will either be refused insurance coverage or it will be VERY expensive.

A selectable power/ performance switch, easily reached by the rider is an accident waiting to happen for a new rider.

I've had quite a few superbikes/ supersport bikes and the problem is, is that 'bad things' can happen in a Nano-second, whereas other less performance oriented bikes can hurt you or kill you in maybe 2 Nano seconds.

We had a young, arrogant kid posting on here and bragging that his first bike was going to be a Ducati Panagale, either the 800 series or the 1199 series and he absolutely couldn't be convinced that we, the people on this forum had his interest in mind when we warned him of how terrible those bikes would be for his first bike. We were reserved and kind in not telling him to pre-plan his funeral:frown: He split and for various reasons, I'm glad he's not on the forum anymore.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LT, as soon as your insurance company sees that you, as a beginning rider, has ANY of the 600 series mini-superbikes, like the Honda 600R or RR, or any Ninja, GSXR or R6 bikes, you will either be refused insurance coverage or it will be VERY expensive.

A selectable power/ performance switch, easily reached by the rider is an accident waiting to happen for a new rider.

I've had quite a few superbikes/ supersport bikes and the problem is, is that 'bad things' can happen in a Nano-second, whereas other less performance oriented bikes can hurt you or kill you in maybe 2 Nano seconds.

We had a young, arrogant kid posting on here and bragging that his first bike was going to be a Ducati Panagale, either the 800 series or the 1199 series and he absolutely couldn't be convinced that we, the people on this forum had his interest in mind when we warned him of how terrible those bikes would be for his first bike. We were reserved and kind in not telling him to pre-plan his funeral:frown: He split and for various reasons, I'm glad he's not on the forum anymore.

Ohh i didnt even think of insurance purposes. Like i said, that idiots that wont listen here, or to their peers, will buy it anyways and wreck it. I guess that is why the manufacturers are making the new 300 and 500s. Those bikes are pretty nice. In my area most people that would recommend a first bike would be telling you to get a HD Iron883 or similar. Cruiser community is huge here.

·
8,592 Posts
If you are comfortable on the Sportster 883, it would be a fantastic first bike. The power is just right and they are totally reliable and maintenance is a snap. Stock, they get about 50 mpg too!

I believe Harley has a program that if you decide the Sportster isn't for you or you want to trade up to a big twin, they will quarantee your Sportsters purchase price, in full, as a trade against your next Harley.

I had a 2005 Sportster 883R, with a stage 1 kit, a 4.5 gallon tank, progressive rear shocks, engine guard with highway pegs and a tasteful set of screaming eagle pipes and I'd give anything if I still had it. It was so clean you could eat off of it!

Even used, they sell like hotcakes!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For info, My first was, and still is a tw200 :p, i'll be going to a honda cb500x adventure or a KLR or similar for my next bike. Was just thinking and giving an opinion.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I've never seen anyone NOT go ahead and try something they shouldn't if they thought they could get away with it. It's a human flaw I think. So even if there was a selectable switch to reduce power by 50%, unless you made it so only say an insurance company could unlock it, it would be unlocked just as soon as the person "felt" they were ready. Which would probably be way before they really are. Nope. Would not work in the real world. We need the herd thinned anyway.:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never seen anyone NOT go ahead and try something they shouldn't if they thought they could get away with it. It's a human flaw I think. So even if there was a selectable switch to reduce power by 50%, unless you made it so only say an insurance company could unlock it, it would be unlocked just as soon as the person "felt" they were ready. Which would probably be way before they really are. Nope. Would not work in the real world. We need the herd thinned anyway.:D
Maybe then we should adopt a similar system that europe uses. only instead of 125cc restricted learners, it should be 200cc... we have bigger people in 'MURICA lol.

·
8,592 Posts
I really think we should have a tierd licensing system in the United States. I think it would save lives.

I have dealt with Sooooo many dealers who will sell a new Hyabusa to a 15 1/2 year old new rider for their first bike---truthfully, I've seen this type of thing many times. I've also seen them sell a new rider say a 600cc crotch rocket and not even sell them a helmet. I've watched them ride away from dealers without a helmet on a 100hp, sub 400lb machine that wants to kill them.

I would say up to a 125cc bike for the first license, for 6 months, then up to 400cc's for the next 6 months, then up to 750cc's for the next 6 months, then after that the license would allow any size bike purchase.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
To the OP: Do those race replica super sports come with beginner settings for the brakes (the non abs ones)? Do they come with beginner settings for the handlebars (clipons) to make you not fatigue as fast?

There is more wrong about a supersport for a beginner than just the throttle.

I agree with Porky. We should have a tiered licensing system. There would not be the negative social pressure on beginners to "be a man" and start on big bikes when everyone HAS to start on small bikes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do agree in theory, that a "modular" bike you can drive 'low power' for now and then 'turn up' when you're ready is a good idea. But like most others, I'd probably switch it to "full power" far too soon, defeating the purpose.

Having said that, I also see the problem with the usual advice to start with a small, light bike like a 250.. maybe 500 depending on style (e.g. 500 in a NON performance type bike). The problem in a word: money.

I just took the BRC after ~15 years of riding experience, did it on their Suzuki 250 "eliminator" and it was a blast. Little light maneuverable bike. Tons of fun. I definitely preferred doing "the box" on it rather than my 1100...

But I could literally crank the throttle full-on at one end of the range, and only get up to maybe 20mph by the midpoint and time to brake. As an experienced rider, it would actually scare me to ride that on the road - just not enough power to get out of its own way. Maybe if I wasn't 6'-something and 250 lbs the story would be different, but I can't imagine it having 'get up and go' even with a 5' tall 95lb woman on it... So if I'd bought one like that for my first bike, I'd have been trading it in (probably taking a big loss) after a few months tops.

My best advice to any friend considering taking up riding would "Yes, get a small and light bike to start." But I'd tell them don't go buy something new, pretty and shiny. If you head for the dealer and buy it new, you're gonna take it on the chops when you find you've outgrown it and are actually ready for more.

So I'd say go find the cheapest, ugliest, (but mechanically-sound) example of the type possible. Treat it as a couple hundred bucks well invested (e.g. a couple hundred between what you'll pay now and what you'll get selling it on later). Buy THAT, get your feet under you properly for a few months, THEN go trade up to something bigger.

FWIW, my first bike was a Honda CX500 that I bought off a friend for a few hundred bucks - it was about 10 years old at the time. Great first bike, learned how to ride well on it, but ugly as sin. Dropped it a few times in the course of learning, and didn't have to go cry my way home : Another scratch or dent? Oh well...

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I really think we should have a tierd licensing system in the United States. I think it would save lives.

I have dealt with Sooooo many dealers who will sell a new Hyabusa to a 15 1/2 year old new rider for their first bike---truthfully, I've seen this type of thing many times. I've also seen them sell a new rider say a 600cc crotch rocket and not even sell them a helmet. I've watched them ride away from dealers without a helmet on a 100hp, sub 400lb machine that wants to kill them.

I would say up to a 125cc bike for the first license, for 6 months, then up to 400cc's for the next 6 months, then up to 750cc's for the next 6 months, then after that the license would allow any size bike purchase.

I hear ya but we already have too much government in our personal business. You can't protect everyone from themselves. The only reason I would even possibly consider more dang government is these idiots have the chance of taking more than just them out when they panic. Now put pressure on the insurance companies would be better. But no more gooberment.:p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts