Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago I bought a Vespa pk50 xls, recently I got her running, she started but after warmed up, she literally dies and then it gets hard to start her again due to the engine being flooded.
I got new gas, the petcock is open and letting gas through, it has compression and new sparkplug.
After 30 second running right, she floods and dies and won't start again.

What is wrong with my bike?
(Note: it is a 2 stroke with a Kickstarter)

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Check YouTube for carburetor float adjustment. They are all very similar so you don’t need one specific to your model bike. At least I assume there will be one there that would work. To be honest I didn’t look.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Yes I do know where the float is located. It is in the carburetor. You need to learn where the float is located. See post number 4. If I use Google and type " Vespa carburetor float adjustment " I find a video of a guy showing me how to adjust the float level. Amazing.
Once upon a time we would have to go to the library and find a book on the subject. Or we would ask someone with mechanic skills to show us. We might go to the dead bike and or auto yard and buy a carburetor to play with. Or we would buy a book on the subject. I have one titled: Motorcycle 4 - stroke Service Manual. It is dated 1972.

You have to start somewhere. This is as good as place as any. Find the fuel tank, follow the hose. Find the throttle cable, follow it. If they are both connected to the same thing, you have probably found the carburetor. Find a blow up picture of that thing online. Proceed. You will need tools. You will damage some skin and bleed a little. You will swear, you will curse the idiots that designed and built your scooter. This is part of the process. You may have to find alternate forms of transport. Shanks's pony should still work.

Bon chance. UK

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I do know where the float is located. It is in the carburetor. You need to learn where the float is located. See post number 4. If I use Google and type " Vespa carburetor float adjustment " I find a video of a guy showing me how to adjust the float level. Amazing.
Once upon a time we would have to go to the library and find a book on the subject. Or we would ask someone with mechanic skills to show us. We might go to the dead bike and or auto yard and buy a carburetor to play with. Or we would buy a book on the subject. I have one titled: Motorcycle 4 - stroke Service Manual. It is dated 1972.

You have to start somewhere. This is as good as place as any. Find the fuel tank, follow the hose. Find the throttle cable, follow it. If they are both connected to the same thing, you have probably found the carburetor. Find a blow up picture of that thing online. Proceed. You will need tools. You will damage some skin and bleed a little. You will swear, you will curse the idiots that designed and built your scooter. This is part of the process. You may have to find alternate forms of transport. Shanks's pony should still work.

Bon chance. UK
Thanks!

·
Registered
781 Posts
There is an old saying, David. 'It's already broken. You can't make it any worse.' Can you take pictures of the scooter? What year is it? Carburetors are fairly simple. Once you get it on the bench, all you're going to need is a Philips Screwdriver. And, like Crusty said, you'll learn a few new cuss words. Working on bikes is a form of therapy for a lot of us on this forum. Maybe you'll enjoy the satisfaction of working on your own bike. Dive in!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The carb gums up quickly on those Vespa 50's. My wife has a Vespa 50 that she doesn't ride often enough, I had to remove the carb and clean it twice last year because it was doing the same thing. The carbs are small and if not run regularly, they tend to gum up quick. I told her that if she's not going to ride it, then she should get rid of it (I could use the space for one of my bikes?).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts