Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am setting out on a mission to ride from Central Illinois to my high school reunion in Newport Beach CA and back. I know it sounds like a routine trip for a Vision but I want to document the whole thing with pictures. My first day on the road I will be paying a visit to Rylan Voss at The Vic Shop for an adjustable intake for my bike. It is only about a 6 hour ride from home. I do not expect much performance from it but it is reputed to help shift my power curve to the left, which is exactly what I want. I will post a before and after with that being my only change and we will all be able to what the upgrade did if anything. Who knows what it will look like. Beware, I am going to ask him to tune the bike for good fuel economy so the WOT curves may even show a slight loss of power. I am OK with that if the torque curve has moved to lower RPM.
My trip starts tomorrow and I have done almost all of the preps already. I have 10 days of clothing and my maintenance medications as a heart patient packed in a bag to put in my left side saddle bag. I have installed a Tom Tom Rider version 5, checked it out on local trips and have programmed it for the trip. I installed a Doran 360M TPMS yesterday so I could check my tires easily each day. Unfortunately the Doran is telling me my tires are low so I need to fix that before I leave.
No way do I expect to be able to do a Rollin' quality write up but I will try to post my progress daily along with a few pictures. Since much of my path is presently planned as mostly interstates, there probably won't be many pictures of twisties. Along the way I will be visiting a friend from my former employer who is also retired and now lives near Denver CO. By the time I reach Utah, or maybe a bit before that, I will know how it is going and may well choose to take more side trips to visit all of the national forest areas in Utah, Nevada and California. I have an extra day built into my plans just in case I have any trouble along the way so that may be a good way to use them and still arrive on time.
Somewhere on the way home I will need to get my 25k service done so I will have to plan that about a day ahead as I see the miles getting close on my odometer. I suppose that will give me the chance to rate some Vic dealer for their service department.
I have never seen the Grand Canyon and it is on my bucket list so a side trip on the way home is a must. Instead of Nebraska, Colorado, Utah and Nevada, I am coming home through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma. One added planned side trip on the way home is a revisit to the Pig Trail in NW Arkansas. I was there once before on my HD Road Glide Ultra and want to see it again, this time from the seat of my Vision. From there it is the Branson Missouri area and home via St Louis.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Im not an expert on the Grand Canyon (only there once), but think about entering and leaving through different gates. We entered from the south and left to the east. Good views along the east entrance with plenty of places to pull over. Plus you wont have to backtrack as much so you can save some time.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Wow! That's a trip that REALLY makes your "ride" performance IMPORTANT!! Here's hoping (raises a glass) that your bike performs flawlessly, and you stay safe, bro!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 22500 miles so far the bike has been flawless. My concerns are more around my own abilities.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the bike either. Sounds like a wonderful trip! Have fun and see as much of this great country as you can while out there!! Can't wait to read about your trip and see some pictures. Ride safe my friend!!

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Nebraska is really boring on the interstate once you get west of Lincoln, but that is why the speed limit is 75, it's about 350 miles of absolute boredom! There is a Victory dealer in Kearney, NE that is just south of the interstate on exit 272 if you find yourself needing anything while on the road. They know me very well, and that is reason enough to not mention my name!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Im not an expert on the Grand Canyon (only there once), but think about entering and leaving through different gates. We entered from the south and left to the east. Good views along the east entrance with plenty of places to pull over. Plus you wont have to backtrack as much so you can save some time.
^^^:71baldboy: Good advice.

That's what we did. We rode east from the Grand Canyon and then turned up and past Lake Powel, back West over to Kanab, Utah, then hit Zion and up to Capitol Reef.

It was almost too much beauty to take in, in one trip.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Sounds like a Great Trip .. You Have no worries about the Bike itself with proper care, 60,000 on my XC now with no problems .. Just Stay Safe Out There ..

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Try not to hit Omaha during rush hour. I-80 can come to a standstill at times, but otherwise at least, it doesn't take all that long to put the city in your rear view mirror.

Don't worry about trying to keep up with Rollin'... he's just got more practice. Can't wait to hear your reports... it's going to be a great adventure!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Have fun be safe.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got off to a really great start. Last night I went out to get my tire pressures up where they belong after the TPMS told me both were dangerously low. I grabbed an old tire gauge and went to a local gas station. After I filled the tires I was a bit surprised how hard the tires felt on the way home but the alarms on the TPMS had cleared so I was happy.
DAy 01: This morning I was running a bit later than I wanted to but I set off right around daylight. When the dashes went away on the TPMS, meaning it now had a reading, I was appalled at what I saw. No wonder the tires felt hard. The front was showing 86 and the rear was showing 66. I knew that MKS and FPS units could both show up so I fiddled with the monitor for a few minutes before deciding the tires really were that hard. Next stop was a local gas station for a new tire gauge. Now it really got spooky because the new tire gauge agreed with the monitor. I laid on my side in front of the gas station bleeding air until both tires were close to 40 psi..By the time I did it, the tires were warm so no way I could really get everything right but at least they were close enough not to worry me. Before I pack the bike in the morning I need to toss that old tire gauge.
By the time I was done with tire pressure I was about 45 minutes behind my schedule for showing up at Rylan's shop but I pressed on hoping to get close to the appointed time by just not taking any extra time at stops. I had, after all, allowed myself about a half hour for those short walks at gas stops.
Now the next issue came up. I was supposed to start the day with a full tank but had about 45 miles on the clock since my last fill up. That means no way could I make my first scheduled fuel stop. It was just too far to go. I made an early stop for fuel and there goes almost 10 minutes of my time allowance that I had hoped to burn to get back on track.
After that stop I thought everything was working just fine and traffic was not a problem so I actually did recover a bit of my time until my last fuel stop. My last stop was only about 10 miles short of the Vic Shop but the actual location and the pre-programmed location were a bit off from each other and the Tom Tom did not want to let go of that leg of the trip. It expected a stop at the "right" place and would not go forward until it was satisfied. Now I was going to be seriously late so I decided to call Rylan to let him know. I reached into the pocket where I carry my phone and found out I did not have it. All of my packing checklists had just assumed my pockets would be loaded as normal with keys in one pocket, comb and phone in another, wallet in back and so on.
I finally figured out how to tell my Tom Tom that I really had been to the gas station and it immediately started taking me to the Vic Shop. The Vic Shop is not where Google and the Tom Tom think it is. It is a couple of hundred yards away. I had been there last fall so I knew what to look for when the GPS got me close and I actually arrived at the shop.
Now for the fun part. My appointed arrival was "lunch time" and when I walked into the shop office Rylan and Gabe were both in the middle of eating, so I guess I made it after all.
The actual shop work went very well and Rylan played mister wizard on the dyno after the new adjustable intake was installed. The end result was a small improvement in torque across the entire RPM range with the torque rising above 100 ft-lb several hundred RPM sooner than had been the case on the "before" picture.
Rylan had some personal business to take care of so Gabe took over waiting for me to do a trial ride and verify the bike was running OK for me the way Rylan normally would have.
I left the Vic Shop around 3 PM and started looking for a cheap phone so I could report in at home. After visiting 4 different places I finally found a phone to use to call home at the end of each day. That didn't come out right. I started my ride west and dropped off the interstate each time I thought I had a chance of finding a phone, because truck stops often carry them. I checked 4 such places before a clerk told me how to find the Dollar General in his town where I actually did find a cheap phone. I thought it was problem solved until I realized that I still needed to find a working phone or an internet connection to get the new phone working. Finally I just gave up, headed toward where I was supposed to sleep and found a restaurant to eat a supper. I checked into a motel about 70 miles short of today's target but I now have a wifi connection, got the phone working and am able to post this summary. It has been a long day and I am ready for bed now. I did get a few pictures at the Vic Shop so when I get some time tomorrow I will do some editing and try to build a story with pictures.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
OK, Oldman, good luck on the trip! Now a few tips, if I may.

Please break your write-ups, like the one above into paragraphs. Adding White space makes longer posts a lot easier on tired old eyes like a lot of us have.

Since you say you may be headed TOWARD the Grand Canyon, lemme offer you an alternate route we rode yesterday.

From Gallup New Mexico, INSTEAD of taking I-40 West, head north briefly on 491 (the old 666). North of town turn towards Ft. Defiance, Window Rock, Gamado, ultimately Tuba City.

I promise you spanking new asphalt, fantastic scenery WELL WORTH the extra hour or two over the Interstate. From Tuba City it's a short shot to Cameron and on to the Grand Canyon.

Ok, ok, I see you're considering GC on the way back, not to....

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes and no Eye. Because cell phones exist, there are no phone booths that I can use, so it has become a must have item. I resisted owning one so long that almost all pay phones were already gone before I found I wanted to make a call and just could not.

On the TPMS, without that tool I would have been riding with very low tire pressure or, if I did check my tires with that broken gauge I would have overfilled, like I did, and would have had no reason to doubt everything was OK. I would rather know something was wrong.

On the GPS, you are definitely right. I would have been traveling with paper maps and lots of notes about my planned route so I could at least recover when things went wrong. I would also not have been able to plot out may gas stops across the western states where they are often very far apart so I would have had to carry some spare gas against just not finding a place to refuel. I think a lot of my GPS issue was that I didn't run that GPS long enough before the trip to discover how to deal with things like an inaccurate location. When I had 2 in a row only the first one threw me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts