Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine was a 2000! I traded in an almost brand new 2002 Ducati 900SS for it.:smile_big:

I've had 3 new Goldwings and this K1200LT was actually better than any of them, in every way:wink2:

I sold it and a practically new BMW R1100GS to help come up with quick capitol for a business venture.:surprise:

The write up is interesting.

Sam:nerd:

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/church-of-mo-1999-bmw-k1200-lt.html

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,924 Posts
Knew several that just love BMW's Nobody in my area knows how or wants to work on them and at this stage in life not ready to try and learn a Ride like that from square 1 .. Although have rode and tested a few and Nice Bike will keep what I have .. The More Bells and Whistles you have the more can go wrong with it .. Seems like anymore if it doesn't almost ride itself for you with all the comforts of home no one has any interest in it .. Used to be on Bike Forums talked about Cams, Exhaust, and other Power Options.. Now it's all complaints about Big Screen Navigation, Heated Grips and Seats ..

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts
The most comfortable bike I ever rode was a BMW 500 twin. I used it as my around town bike. Had Earls forks, hardly any power, and squiggled in uneven corners. But was still a sweet bike to ride. Very quiet as well.

UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably had the bike for just a couple of years so maintenance was oil and filter and final drive changes only, with no trouble whatsoever.

I had 4 other Beemer's, all R series, 650, 800, 1000 and the GS was an 1100cc. All great bikes and easy to work on but were trouble free.

Sam:smile_big:

So how was the maintenance on that bike? I considered one, but read some horror stories online about expensive problems. Went with an rt instead. But the big K sure looked comfortable!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 09 1200rt that I could write an essay about, it was not taken care of at all and I am a shade tree mechanic from the early 70's, Im 68 and been working on and ridding since the late 60's, I miss the damn carbs and points and all the old ****, it was far easier to work on than computers and all the damn sensors. My bike is wonderful, everything works but I hit a road hazard and had to get a used front rim and my gas tank started leaking from that, got a used one, gonna fix the other, then the damn left side plastic throttle cam broke completely off, yer bike has NO power when this happens and thank God I was in my yard and had just parked to change the tank. I'm going with the Beemer Bits parts even though they are high in price I believe, the aluminum is aero space type and I don't want to have to be concerned whether or not something will hold up. The previous owner let the resevoirs run empty and just didn't take care of the bike, he did put a lot of miles on it thats why it was the price it was. Everything is getting good on it and yep I wouldn't work on one either unless I was paid, they are hard to work on but you sure learn a lot if thats what you want to do, I do. I've built choppers and had Japanese and British bikes, they were fun to work on, probably are not now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.