Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I ordered a size L Bell RS-1 full faced helmet online. When I got the helmet, it was way to tight on my temples, it felt like it was crushing my head. I shipped the helmet back for store credit and got another RS-1 but this time in XL.

When the helmet arrived today, and I tried it on right away. This time the helmet slipped on comfortably, it was definitely not too narrow this time and when I turned my head side to side the helmet did not move, it fit pretty snugly. The only problem is the space between my forehead and the front of the helmet.

So my question is, am I going to have to return this helmet too? I bought the helmets from motorcycle closeouts and full refunds are to store credit. And the reason I am sticking with bell is because I got a good deal on the transition shield. Could I just put some padding in that forehead space and use this helmet?

·
Very Famous Person
9,689 Posts
--

It's hard to get the padding just right, but possible. You may just need a real thin piece. You can sometimes use a glad rag that will take up some space.

--

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
exactly why you can't shop just brand. Different shells, different shapes. I would suggest returning it and trying a different brand. This is exactly why I don't shop the internet, and I refuse to take up a shops time and then buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Recently I ordered a size L Bell RS-1 full faced helmet online. When I got the helmet, it was way to tight on my temples, it felt like it was crushing my head. I shipped the helmet back for store credit and got another RS-1 but this time in XL.

When the helmet arrived today, and I tried it on right away. This time the helmet slipped on comfortably, it was definitely not too narrow this time and when I turned my head side to side the helmet did not move, it fit pretty snugly. The only problem is the space between my forehead and the front of the helmet.

So my question is, am I going to have to return this helmet too? I bought the helmets from motorcycle closeouts and full refunds are to store credit. And the reason I am sticking with bell is because I got a good deal on the transition shield. Could I just put some padding in that forehead space and use this helmet?
You need to understand that size is not all there is to a helmet. Yes you should return it but do not go back to that brand. Each helmet brand is made for a different shaped head. Mine is a bit more round than average but not really round. That means that an HJC fits me fairly well. Once I have a shape that works I can change sizes, as you have done, to get a good fit. Every brand of helmet has a head shape it is meant to fit. You need to find the brands that are meant for your head shape. Go to your local multi-brand dealer and try on lots of helmets. Some will give you too much front to back pressure while they otherwise feel fine, they are too round for you. Others will make your ears into sculptures while they feel great front to back. They are too oval for you. Others will feel a bit tight in every direction. Try the next larger size and see how they feel. They are probably your shape. Once you know the brand that fits your head shape, go back online and see if they have a helmet with the features you want. That will be your best bet helmet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Use a ballpeen hammer and make a couple lumps on your forehead, it will stay on now!

Just kidding, try using a bandana on your head. It may fill up the space, and still be comfortable. Quick fix.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Once you know the brand that fits your head shape, go back online and see if they have a helmet with the features you want.
Misterwhang, you're in a position where you have a credit at an internet site and have to go back online to buy your helmet.

But if we go into a store and try on helmets, and find a brand and size helmet which fits, we should buy it from the shop that we're in. It has carried the stock so we could check out the fits and sizes of the different brands, and it's staff has been giving their time helping us.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I spend the extra money to buy from the shop, I get to try every helmet on and find the one that fits my head. I lost a couple visor screws in my HJC, told my dealer about it and he handed me a new set of screws and a sun shield that was scratched, no charge and instant gratification. I spent a few dollars more for the helmet, but got that much back in parts and friendly customer service.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
the other thing is that a new helmet will "pack down" after a few weeks. I typically remove the cheek pads until the rest of the helmet has packed down a bit.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Agreed

Misterwhang, you're in a position where you have a credit at an internet site and have to go back online to buy your helmet.

But if we go into a store and try on helmets, and find a brand and size helmet which fits, we should buy it from the shop that we're in. It has carried the stock so we could check out the fits and sizes of the different brands, and it's staff has been giving their time helping us.
Buy everything you can online to save a buck, for convenience or for selection.
But if you go to a local shop, try on the helmets, get your questions asked, find the helmet that's right for you AND leave so you can purchase the same helmet online for a discount, you are a jerk.

I would like to meet the person that would invite anyone to treat them in the same manner.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
it pays to get a helmet with an excellent fit.
the only sure way to do this is to try several different brands ... in different sizes.

this pretty much means - that you need to make a trip to your local MC store that has a good selection. this is a great idea anyway - because you will want to get to know these people for a lot of different reasons.

as several folks above have said ... if you try on any gear at the MC store ... whether its helmets, gloves or coats ... then BUY it from them! that is what supports the dealers, and its very important. we do NOT undercut a dealer by trying on their stuff, then buying it online.

later when you have more experience ... you can buy online - because you know what already works for you. BUT for helmets ... I never buy online. I always take a long time, try them all on, and get the one that fits the BEST!!

good luck,
dT

·
American Legion Rider
18,626 Posts
The other thing about helmets is each and every one will fit a little different. Same two helmets in the same size and one will fit better than the other. Never seen it fail. You can't try different ones on when buying online. Then you get just an okay fit. But at a local dealer you can keep trying until you find that perfect one.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I have yet to find a motorcycle apparel store not attached to a dealer, and have yet to find one of those that carries more than 2 brands.

What I did with my bell was to swap out the pads in places I wanted a tighter fit with the pads from the next size down in that area, which in my case was the cheeks.

However, it seems that your problem, OP, is that your head shape is irregular according to Bell. You should try a helmet from a company who designs helmets for irregular people :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The other thing about helmets is each and every one will fit a little different. Same two helmets in the same size and one will fit better than the other. Never seen it fail. You can't try different ones on when buying online. Then you get just an okay fit. But at a local dealer you can keep trying until you find that perfect one.
When I first brought my helmet, I brought it from our local MC shop. The first one I tried on was a small, but I didn't like the style. Found one that I liked and the small was too big. Ended up having to get the X-Small....and it was the same name brand helmet.

One thing I can recommend is if you wear your hair up like I do, make sure you try the helmet on with your hair up. My helmet, if I've been riding for a few hours, my head starts to ache a bit where my ponytail is. I usually end up letting my hair down and deal with the snarls later....

·
American Legion Rider
18,626 Posts
Zippy, my wife uses this, helmet liner. She says it took a while to figure out how to actually tie it, but when she did it worked great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts