Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow's trip is getting better and better! There are a couple of new developments that are making it into what will probably be the best motorcycling of my life! Granted, l don't have hundreds of thousands of miles under my belt like most of you guys, but still, it's exciting to me. Besides, it's my weiner, and l can wash it as many times as l want ;)

The bike is in Central Oregon, near Bend OR, to be exact. I don't know how the detail made it past my brain, but yesterday l realized that Bend is where my long lost friend Eli, who l just reconnected with this past year after looking for him for about 25 years, lives. Eli's mom and stepdad, who were both a real piece of work, had a horrible falling out when we were about 15, and he ended up living with friends and basically grew up right then and there. I had moved to a new area and didn't know all of this was going on, not that l could have done anything about it anyway. He ended up in Colorado with his biological dad, and then came to visit one time when we were 17. I said hi to him and we talked for about 15 minutes, and then l had to go to work. I haven't seen him since. For two and a half decades l looked for him, without much help from his siblings, who were more concerned with secrecy than helping him reunite with friends who had him torn from their lives.

Long story short, l am flying into Redmond Oregon tomorrow and picking up my bike, and then hopefully meeting up with my old friend for an early dinner. I won't have a lot of time to stick around (I really wish l had another day) but it will be great to see him and catch up.

Then l will head north to my parents' place in Coulee City, about half an hour from the Grand Coulee Dam. I talked to my Mom the other night and she is really excited, and it is a surprise for my Dad that l am coming. We were unable to get together for Father's Day this year, so this is a bit overdo. My Dad used to love the FJ as well, so admittedly l am really excited to show him my new bike :)

I will spend the day with them on Saturday, and we will probably take a fun drive somewhere. They are surrounded by red rock canyons and it really is a spectacular place. I'm not a desert dweller, but l love going to see them nonetheless. There is an area there with some old caves that have Indian wall paintings and whatnot, so l might see if l can talk them into going there. Whatever we do will be time well spent.

Sunday morning l will head home, and l got to thinking...l have been talking about riding the North Cascades Highway ever since l wandered back into this motorcycling thing...and it isn't out of the way to go that way as opposed to taking the superslab across I-90...not far enough out of the way to discourage me anyway. And the North Cascades is so much more beautiful and twisty and...so yeah, l will ride the long way home Sunday morning. This trip is shaping up to be a real memory maker!

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Most of these throw together and just go trips work out like that. Real memory makers.:thumbsup: I hope it turns out great for you.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Everything jag13 just said!

Sounds like a dream trip!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
^^^what he said :) Have fun and share it with us when you get home and settled back in.

·
8,599 Posts
Have a great time and ride safely!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Take your time as best you can and enjoy the little trip. Remember, it's a new bike to you. Take time to learn how it feels and what you can expect from it. Those first few miles are the dangerous with a new machine so just remember your not on your old bike. Every bike is just a little different key areas. TAKE YOUR TIME.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take your time as best you can and enjoy the little trip. Remember, it's a new bike to you. Take time to learn how it feels and what you can expect from it. Those first few miles are the dangerous with a new machine so just remember your not on your old bike. Every bike is just a little different key areas. TAKE YOUR TIME.
You got that right! I have actually decided to cancel the plans with my old friend so that l am not cramped for time. I really want to have a relaxing ride :)

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Sounds like a fun weekend! Best of luck riding the FJ home! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I went over SR20 on my SV a couple years ago. Quite possibly the best riding I have ever done. Its motorcycle heaven up there this time of year. They close it in winter but now its open and you are high enough for it to be cool and not too hot. Be prepared to enjoy tons of twisting roads, clear blue lakes, and maybe a mountain goat or two. Plus there are decent spots to pass some of the cars and semis you see.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went over SR20 on my SV a couple years ago. Quite possibly the best riding I have ever done. Its motorcycle heaven up there this time of year. They close it in winter but now its open and you are high enough for it to be cool and not too hot. Be prepared to enjoy tons of twisting roads, clear blue lakes, and maybe a mountain goat or two. Plus there are decent spots to pass some of the cars and semis you see.
Yeah, l am pretty stoked! I used to live over in Winthrop, so l know all too well the beauty of the drive...and l have always wanted to ride it so no time like the present!

Whereabouts do you live Kerrick? Unkle Crusty and l have been talking about getting a ride together, and Muggs too. You are welcome to join us

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like a fun weekend! Best of luck riding the FJ home! :thumbsup:
Hey Oz, when l make my way back east l will swing through and you can bust out the beemer, and we will find out who REALLY has the funnest bike!

·
Registered
195 Posts
What an action-packed trip. Have fun and ride safe, Hawk!

Man, that reminds me of an old friend that I lost contact w/ and it's funny in the age of the internet I still can't find him. I think that we're of similar age and we both lost touch w/ our respective buddies around the same age also. Anyway, glad that you found your buddy. The reminiscing will be great.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts