Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Recently I went down at 30 mph and picked up some minor damage to the bike (not me) but now there is as expected a few minor repairs that I am having issues with.

dropbox.com/sc/toir7yhta7ga5rf/AABLBo31hFKU5pAE3U0K48sDa

(May have to reload the link if the pictures don't load the first time)

1. Tips on bending handlebars back into place so they are even? (would heating them up a bit work or would it ruin them?)

2. The front break hose bolt has cracked, and I do not know the name of what the cracked part is, or if I will have to buy a whole new hose or if I can just get that specific cracked part

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts

Bending metal, especially tubing, work hardens it. Re-bending it doubly so. Makes it brittle. I'm sure you've at one time or another bought a roll of copper wire or tubing. Easy to bend the FIRST time. Next time it snaps.

I'd take the bars to a machinist, machine shop, and have them re-bend them. Take them off the bike. If THEY feel it's ok, straighten 'em out. If not, order a new pair off ebay. Last thing you want is bars that snap under load.

You'll probably have to order a new brake line as it APPEARS that fitting is permanently attached to the end of the hose, but even at hi-rez, I can't totally tell. Otherwise a hydraulic supply place that makes lines, or else...Ebay or BikeBandit.com

Good luck. Awful glad you're OK. Any lessons learned to share, like...don't over-apply the front brake on gravel?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Handlebars are fairly cheap, so often it's best just to replace them if bent. The brake line will need to be replaced. That fitting is put on before the brake line is assembled and crimped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was planning on putting a pair of Daytona bars on eventually anyways so I think I'll just spend the $20 on a new pair of handlebars just to be safe.

I've been looking at used lines and the ones on bike bandit but none of them look like that type of bolt up there so would there just be a different way to connect it with the same result???

Good luck. Awful glad you're OK. Any lessons learned to share, like...don't over-apply the front brake on gravel?
Thank you so much, so am I, I can never be so happy I had pads/helmet on.

As for a lesson, WATCH. OUT. FOR. SAND. Seriously even more when its dark and no matter how much **** you may get or what you ride, wear full gear. I didn't see the 4inch thick sand at a turn since it was night and once it happenes there is almost nothing you can do if you don't see it, I didn't fall from hitting my breaks but I also don't know what fully happened because it happened so fast and at one point you are thinking "oh I f*ucked up" then the next you are on the ground. All I know is I was 10 feet away from my bike, and landed right shoulder/head first and slid. I got away with a small headache and a couple small scratches and a bruise and achy shoulder now, had I not been wearing pads and helmet I don't think I would be moving my arm or shoulder right now. Or moving at all. Just wear pads you never know when something will happen.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I almost forgot...

The thread title brought an old joke to mind...

If 12 shots of whisky won't get the taste out of your mouth, the 13th ain't gonna help either...

Truly glad you're ok, and wish you the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts