Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a 81 Honda cm400T And was curious if "High Mileage" oil was fine for it, I bought pennzoil high mileage 10w40 for my car but noticed in the motorcycle manual it also recommended 10w40. So I was just curious if I could use it in my motorcycle for an oil change?

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519ItumfZxL._SY300_.jpg (this is the oil I have)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You want to use motorcycle oil in it, they are different. Being an older bike, l would not use synthetic oil, as it tends slip out much faster if you have a leak. There is an oil thread here full of opinions and such. I believe it is in the repair section.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want to use motorcycle oil in it, they are different. Being an older bike, l would not use synthetic oil, as it tends slip out much faster if you have a leak. There is an oil thread here full of opinions and such. I believe it is in the repair section.
so is there oil that says specifically "motorcycle oil"? and there is no oil leaks on it, so I don't think that would be an issue.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
There's no specific reason you should opt for a high mileage oil, though as the others said some car oils have additives which can mess with your Honda's wet clutch. It's safer to stick to motorcycle related oil, though if you really want to use a "normal" car oil you can - just make sure it doesn't have any crazy additives in it. Shell Rotella T is what I run in a lot of my bikes when I'm not running a Spectro motorcycle synthetic.

Run for your life, the oil debate is coming!

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I just say stick with a quality motorcycle type oil.....
I used a few diff brands depending on what i can find online on sale..
Like Valvoline or Mobile 1....
Used to Use Amsoil, but it got to expensive...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I tried to my first oil change last week and almost completed it until I found out that the drain plug was stripped. ugh. Tried everthing to get the dang thin out. I finally had to go to a shop. He owner gave me a new drain plug and I'll try again next time. I will not let the mishap deter me.....

My advice, check the drain plug before you start. Good luck.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rotella T5 is hella cheap and you are able to use a car's FRAM Filter if you prefer. Car filters are just a tad bigger and they filter more :). Find one that matches your OEM spec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts