Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently came into possession of a 1986 Suzuki Intruder. The ad said needs some work but ran fine last season. I get there and it seems only the headlights work so I'm guessing some sort of electrical issue possibly a new starter. but I finally got to open her up today and found something that looks very wrong. I'm guessing I should see a professional mechanic immediately
. :[

·
Registered
736 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, that's... interesting. Yeah, unless you are comfortable with the magic of electricity (I am not!), a professional sounds like a great idea!

·
Visionary
3,375 Posts
You need to either learn some basic electricity to troubleshoot that problem or take it someone who can, clearly there was some hack level work done there..soldered a wire to a fuse? Really?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Those may have been to hook up some accessories. That was the most common way to hook up stereos, power boosters/equalizers in the 70's in cars with tube type fuses.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!! :)
Ditto with bpe, I wouldn't immediately assume those wires mean the bike is a lemon. In one of my cars I wired my offroad lights to a fuse holder, slid a fuse into it, then slid the setup into an open slot on the fuse box meant for accessories. The negative wire then went to a ground.

This could be the same concept, only executed in a janky manner. Follow the wire coming off the fuse and see where it leads!

·
American Legion Rider
20,029 Posts
Well, that's certainly one way to tap a power source. Rather crude but I've seen other shade tree mechanic stuff that was worse. Like others have said, most likely it is or was for some accessory but maybe not. I'd trace that wire to find the other end and hope it isn't powering something that should be getting it's power from the factory wiring harness. I'd do that before letting a dealer look into it because they might just see a cash cow. And...
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us?

·
Ace Tuner
2,189 Posts
I'd trace that wire to find the other end and hope it isn't powering something that should be getting it's power from the factory wiring harness.
^ Yep, I am sorry to say it but that would be my guess as to why.
You can be sure the factory main wire harness was discontinued years ago.
You'll need to get a wiring diagram and.....

S F

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to either learn some basic electricity to troubleshoot that problem or take it someone who can, clearly there was some hack level work done there..soldered a wire to a fuse? Really?

I Definitely want to learn how to work on bikes including the electrical system but the bode job they did caused me some alarm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Yep, I am sorry to say it but that would be my guess as to why.
You can be sure the factory main wire harness was discontinued years ago.
You'll need to get a wiring diagram and.....

S F
Thank you I will do that, but poking around a little bit moreI found something that looks a bit worse.

·
Premium Member
7,354 Posts
Your bike probably ran fine for many years, which would imply it is not a lemon. But some time during its 24 years, it met an owner who may qualify as a lemon. Old bikes develop connection problems with the wyring. The wyres get brittle. It happens, often made worse by a mechanical lemon.
And BTW, bulbs do not last forever.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
20,029 Posts
All in all it doesn't look that bad. I only saw one or maybe two where it looks like the smoke may have leaked out(shorted). I'd study a wiring diagram in an attempt to find out why they chose to get the power where they did if that wire goes to something needed or used on the bike. If not then get rid of it completely and move on. But I'm wondering if those wires that look like they might have shorted is why they grabbed power where they did. They may have done it as a quick way to prove the bike ran until sold rather that fix it correctly. But you do have work cut out for ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All in all it doesn't look that bad. I only saw one or maybe two where it looks like the smoke may have leaked out(shorted). I'd study a wiring diagram in an attempt to find out why they chose to get the power where they did if that wire goes to something needed or used on the bike. If not then get rid of it completely and move on. But I'm wondering if those wires that look like they might have shorted is why they grabbed power where they did. They may have done it as a quick way to prove the bike ran until sold rather that fix it correctly. But you do have work cut out for ya.
Update She started!
I charged the battery, spliced the burnt wires and she started right up for me ran pretty ok actually.
but... I was right in thinking the wires lead to the head light. they pretty much hot wired them. none of the left switches work except the horn . High and low beam and turn signals are not getting any power all the wiring is completely corroded i found a few more melted wires. Should I try to repair the switches I opened them up and everything seemed pretty corroded wold it be easier to get after market switches?

·
Premium Member
7,354 Posts
Sometimes the small contacts in the switches, respond well to a blast of ignition cleaner / protector / anti corrosion stuff. Worth a try first. Other wise the small electrical bits need to be clean and shiny. There are some very small bits in there.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
20,029 Posts
There are some very small bits in there.
And because of that, your easiest way is new switches and wires. But hey, that's great that you got it going that easily and quickly. That electrical stuff and me don't see eye to eye.(y) (y) (y)

·
On The Road Again!
2,995 Posts
Aw, that's not bad. Take a look at this. When I got my Goldwing, everything worked.
But looking under the plastic I found LOTS of extra wires run EVERYWHERE.
Extra accessories had been added over the years, and a new hunk of wire was
added for each one. Much of it made no sense. Every added accessory had a
different ground point!
So I rewired everything in a more sensible fashion with a secondary fuse block.
I pulled all of this from the bike!! Some of these pieces are seven or eight feet long!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts