Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She couldn't wait to try out the bike so we immediately went to do a mini lesson after I surprised her with the Grom and engagement last week! I think she did great!

We are currently waiting for an opportunity to take off work and sign up for an MSF class to get her license! I can't wait!!! :)

https://youtu.be/blQuRuivLK4

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have to say that having my wife ride her own bike, and going out together, is the MOST fun!! At first, she was kinda 'skittish', but after we took a ride with our CMA chapter up to the top 'crest' of the almost 11k foot tall mountain near us, going up those twisty roads and hairpin turns, helped her get a LOT more comfortable riding her bike, and gave her the confidence to really be able to ENJOY it! Now, SHE loves riding ALMOST as much as I do!!

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
As quickly as she's taking to it I wonder how long before she wants something BIGGER.:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say that having my wife ride her own bike, and going out together, is the MOST fun!! At first, she was kinda 'skittish', but after we took a ride with our CMA chapter up to the top 'crest' of the almost 11k foot tall mountain near us, going up those twisty roads and hairpin turns, helped her get a LOT more comfortable riding her bike, and gave her the confidence to really be able to ENJOY it! Now, SHE loves riding ALMOST as much as I do!!
That sounds like a great ride! I figured the grom could do nothing but inspire confidence while she learns! And I figure if your wife can ride with ya that just means twice as much riding! Now date days can be on the bike lol :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.......I am gonna admit it.....I have NO IDEA what a Honda Grom is??
Ed
It's a baby Honda. Kind of like the Mini Cooper of bikes.
Basically lol - It's a little 125cc in Honda's Sport bike line (I guess they didn't have any other category to put it in lol)

But I thought it would be the most amazing first bike to learn on for a lady - and I have ridden it, its quite fun for a 190 man like myself also!

They are also only $3k brand new! ;)

I figured it was also the perfect bike to follow me on some minor trails without buying a second dual sport (I am on a CRF250L) - because we are not sure what kinda motorcycleling we will get into after we are properly learn't :) I have about 2k miles experience so far and am lovin' it!! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As quickly as she's taking to it I wonder how long before she wants something BIGGER.:D
Yeah, that was the problem with starting my wife out on a VLX600, NOW she wants at least a 1300 or an even bigger trike!! :icon_cool:
I think I will want her to build her skills and muscle memory on that and my CRF250L for a year at least before we move up to something else...

Maybe she will take over my 250 and we will add a 450 or somethin to the garage :)

As I mentioned to someone else on here - we are not sure what type of ridin we will want to do so I figured both these bikes would be great cheap learners while we figure that out ! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's doing really good. She shouldn't have any trouble with the BRC at all.
Thanks a bunch Dods! We were signed up and ready to travel to ATL to take one that was supposed to be today and tomrorow but they called on Friday and cancelled it because we were the only people to sign up for that class :(

Since she already asked off work for that trip we have to wait a little before she can get 2 days off in a row to take a class! Sucks but its worth it to wait I think - I will probably google a refresher on the BRC lessons and give her some more pointers in the mean time :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I think I will want her to build her skills and muscle memory on that and my CRF250L for a year at least before we move up to something else...

Maybe she will take over my 250 and we will add a 450 or somethin to the garage :)

As I mentioned to someone else on here - we are not sure what type of ridin we will want to do so I figured both these bikes would be great cheap learners while we figure that out ! :)
Oh you are absolutely doing it right. That was not a suggestion. It was simply a statement of curiosity. I wasn't even remotely curious for anything bigger than my 185 for a long time but I certainly didn't take to it like your soon to be wife did.

My first ride was a joke and making a u-turn never happened for a long long time. I'm simply amazed at how quickly she took to it. Almost like she's keeping a little secret about past biker chick days.:icon_cool: I'm jealous really maybe.:coffeescreen: But then my wife took off quickly too.

Oh crud, not yet another thing women are better at than men.:p

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Some take to operating the controls right away and others take a little longer. That's really the easy part of riding. Staying safe out on the street is where the real challenge is.

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
She's doing great, and that Grom looks like way too much fun, I'd love to have one to zoom around the side roads on.
This is the second time I've heard about a Grom, I was recently talking to someone (The mechanic in a local bicycle shop..we were shopping for the pedal powered variety and he saw us arrive on our motorcycles and said he rode too) about his, he said he had a couple of motorcycles but his new Grom was the most fun he had riding since he had a minibike as a kid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh you are absolutely doing it right. That was not a suggestion. It was simply a statement of curiosity. I wasn't even remotely curious for anything bigger than my 185 for a long time but I certainly didn't take to it like your soon to be wife did.

My first ride was a joke and making a u-turn never happened for a long long time. I'm simply amazed at how quickly she took to it. Almost like she's keeping a little secret about past biker chick days.:icon_cool: I'm jealous really maybe.:coffeescreen: But then my wife took off quickly too.

Oh crud, not yet another thing women are better at than men.:p
haha thanks! I am used to taking flak for starting on my 250 so I went into defense mode lol good stuff!

Ya it'll be interesting to see whos better once she has some experience also lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some take to operating the controls right away and others take a little longer. That's really the easy part of riding. Staying safe out on the street is where the real challenge is.
She picked that part up right away in the video - no pointers needed :)

But the coordination of shifting she struggled with a little - gonna add that into lesson 2 :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's doing great, and that Grom looks like way too much fun, I'd love to have one to zoom around the side roads on.
This is the second time I've heard about a Grom, I was recently talking to someone (The mechanic in a local bicycle shop..we were shopping for the pedal powered variety and he saw us arrive on our motorcycles and said he rode too) about his, he said he had a couple of motorcycles but his new Grom was the most fun he had riding since he had a minibike as a kid.
Thanks!! It is so much fun - I am 6'1 190 and it zips me around real quick - until 40/50 then it starts to thump....top speed stock is 62 mph hehe

I love it!

The experienced riders say its so much fun around town because they can actually work through the gears whereas on a large cc bike you will be working between 1st and 2nd in town :)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
So is "GROM" an acronym for something? Or does it mean something in Japanese? Maybe it's the sound the bike makes when you rev the engine?

<Grom, GROM! Gr-r-o-m-M-m-M-m-M...>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So is "GROM" an acronym for something? Or does it mean something in Japanese? Maybe it's the sound the bike makes when you rev the engine?

<Grom, GROM! Gr-r-o-m-M-m-M-m-M...>
hahah actually it's almost silent compared to most other bikes I have heard - even my crf250l sounds loud in comparison lol

It is the MSX125 aka "Grom" Similar to how they just came out with the Honda CRF1000L aka "Africa Twin" etc :)

I don't think it stands for anything but im sure we can come up with some good acromyms

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Warning!

My wife started on a Rebel, had it a month and moved up to a 650 Yamaha. She had that a year and was on a 900 Kawasaki. She kept that for almost two years and now for four years has been riding a Raider. I'm hoping she is happy with that for a while, it gets expensive, just like when she decided to shoot guns!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts