Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been looking at bikes for the long term that suit our specific pillioning needs. Saturday morning my wife and I went over to the local Honda agency to take the Honda F6B for a test ride. Afterwards we dropped in to the Harley agency to check out just what is available - Harley model descriptions are a bit of a mystery to me. My experiences ...

I'd been asking for a test ride of the F6B for 2 or 3 weeks, at first it wasn't available because it had a faulty battery and "Honda take forever to handle warranty claims." The Honda agency had only 2 Honda cruisers in stock, the F6B and a Shadow 750. Yesterday the F6B was ready, we were referred to a young salesman. We went for a 5 km ride accompanied by the salesman. Nice bike, but the ride went along mainly 80 km/hr roads for just about 5 km/3miles. The salesman rode a Victory Hammer, and when we stopped to discuss the F6B the Hammer toppled over doing probably a thousand dollars damage. When we got back to the agency I asked if they had a brochure on the bike, no but they'd download something from the net and email it to me. They asked if I knew the price of the F6B? Yeah, about $Aust26,000, "yes that's about right," they said. Could I see inside the panniers, the salesman made many attempts to open them but couldn't. The bike had a short sissy bar on it, but this is bolted on and requires tools to remove and replace - they didn't know if a higher sissy bar was available. The Panniers don't come off.

Just dropped into the Harley agency on the spur of the moment on the way home. Lots of cruisers there but that's their main business. The Sales Manager came over and asked if he could help. He must've spent half an hour with us, knew every concern we had, explained how his wife felt riding pillion. Most of the bikes on display had those single seats or skimpy pillion seats on them and I mentioned we were interested in pillioning. He showed us the wall where there were 9 or 10 full pillion seats hung up, took us to a bike and showed how the smaller seats could just be changed for the full pillion seat with just a click of a latch. He took us to a Street Glide and went over it, showed how a panniers could be removed with a small screw driver or coin and half a turn of just two slotted bolts. Showed how the sissy bar could be taken off with just two latches from little spool/holders, showed us the taller sissy bar, showed us the optional luggage rack and how it just clipped on like the sissy bar. The rear suspension can be adjusted with just an easy accessible dial. Gave us a 30 or 40 page brochure to take away which contained a current price list for the whole Harley range. He told us about the Harley demo day in two weeks time, and said if we wanted a ride next weekend then the bike would be available. On the demo day the bikes are ridden in groups every half an hour with a lead and tail-end-Charlie and the rides go about 15 km with quite a bit of 100 km/hr zone in it.

I'd never considered a Harley before. Now I understand why there are so many around. They made the Honda agency look amateurish by comparison. Like I said, I'd never considered a Harley before, but I could now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yea a LOT depends on the dealership!

I don't know if it is a gender thing but I have been ignored equally at both the local Honda dealership and the local Harley dealer's. I owned a Harley before and was predisposed toward another one but had such distaste for the local dealer that I really didn't want to deal there. I drove 2.5 hours to another dealership and was treated entirely differently. The salesman was not the definitive expert of everything Harley but was very polite, attentive, found an answer for every question I asked, and accommodated my every desire (except giving me the bike for free LOL!). Guess where I bought!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I have to agree. I don't even OWN a Harley but every time I go with my buddy who does, to the #1 HD dealership in America we get treated like royalty. "Could I get you guys some cold water while you wait?"

Virtually every employee who walks past us greets us and asks if they can help us in some way.

It's Go Arizona cycles in Scottsdale, btw, and with their new building they will be the LARGEST HD dealership in America as well.

They are multi-line, and did a SUPERB job on my Kawasaki 30K service, going "above and beyond" --- even replacing a license plate illumination bulb in addition to the wash and wax. What other dealer even CHECKS your lighting?

Don't get me started on my local Kawi dealer..

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
If you've ever been in sales, you know its all about sales commissions. Nothing more, nothing less. Its not surprising that one salesperson would be more attentive while trying to sell you a $25,000 motorcycle over another trying to sell a $8,000 motorcycle.
My wife and I splurged last night and went to a swanky restaurant we've been wanting to try. We found nothing on the menu was less than $45. The waitress was friendly and overly attentive to a fault, explaining everything on the menu and checking every few minutes to see if we needed anything. She even brought out a platter with all the desserts beautifully displayed, trying to rack up the bill. Of course she would, she was hoping to get the full 25% tip on a $200 bill. I guess if you're into that, it's cool, because you're paying for it.

·
7,459 Posts
" over another trying to sell a $8,000 motorcycle." CTX quote.:confused:

The F6B he tested is closer to $17,000+-.:coffeescreen:

Now you know why Harley's are so plentiful: They really do care about their customers. I've had 3 HD's and would like another.:biggrin:

Harley salesmen and saleswomen are died in the wool enthusiast, not some pimple faced part time Junior college kid that normally does pre=delivery set up at the JAP dealers.:biggrin:

After sale dealer support is another nice thing about Harley as is their official club, the Harley Owners Group (HOG) that is very active in the community and has a real family/ fraternity feel to it.;)

Sam:icon_cool:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
" over another trying to sell a $8,000 motorcycle." CTX quote.:confused:

The F6B he tested is closer to $17,000+-.:coffeescreen:

Now you know why Harley's are so plentiful: They really do care about their customers. I've had 3 HD's and would like another.:biggrin:

Harley salesmen and saleswomen are died in the wool enthusiast, not some pimple faced part time Junior college kid that normally does pre=delivery set up at the JAP dealers.:biggrin:

After sale dealer support is another nice thing about Harley as is their official club, the Harley Owners Group (HOG) that is very active in the community and has a real family/ fraternity feel to it.;)

Sam:icon_cool:
Since you quoted me and took a shot at Jap bikes, Ill bite.;)
Of course they care about their customers and they're active in the community, you're paying for it and putting their kids through college.
Yeah I know, your bike has a soul and mine doesn't. LOL. Just messin wit ya.:71baldboy:

·
7,459 Posts
My bikes are a 2012 Goldwing, a 2013 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS and a 2006 Suzuki 650 Burgman. They all have Asian souls:)

Goldwings are between $20,000 to almost $30,000 as some HD's are. The JAP shops and HD both have MUCH less expensive offerings.

I'm glad I can help someone put their kids through college with REAL money and not welfare/ affirmative action/ free Illegal educations etc of the unappreciative lazy class of people.

I am 67 years old and still work 60-70 hour weeks and I'm proud that my hard work and my dollars support the local and global economy that allows prosperity and capitalism.

I thank my customers and my past employers for allowing me to have a good life and send MY kids to college on my dime.

Class envy is alive and well:biggrin:

Sam

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll also throw my support to the "dealership matters" camp. There are two Moto Guzzi models I would love to own, but the local dealer is a shady character and his dealership screams fly-by-night. Several people spam the local CL bashing this guy. My own experience renting from him a few times has been poor at best.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I've been to good dealerships and bad dealerships. I also don't think its foolish to base your buying decision, at least in part, on the quality of the dealer that you will be working with for possibly the full life of the bike. Maybe I was just lucky but when I bought my first motorcycle about 30 years ago in San Antonio, Texas I did so at a Honda dealer (I don't remember if they sold other bikes as well) that was as welcoming and friendly as you could imagine. I was 40 years old and knew little about bikes, and found a sales manager who was well versed in motorcycles and knew how to communicate to a newbie. The dealership was also a place that encouraged riders to just drop in and hang out, get a free cup of coffee, and shoot the breeze while possibly looking at bikes or gear. This set the standard for me in what a good dealer should be like.

I ride a Triumph now, and think that the dealership that I go to, Team Triumph in Janesville, WI is outstanding. Its a one brand dealer run as a family business. The owner and his wife are riders and bike enthusiasts who treat everyone fairly and with great customer service. My next bike will likely be a Triumph as well in great part because of how much I like to work with this dealer.

·
7,459 Posts
It's funny but the last 2 posters are Triumph and BMW people, 2 of my favorite brands. I had a new 2010 Triumph Scrambler and 5 BMW's and they are great bikes--except for their small amount of dealers.

Eddie mentioned Moto Guzzi and I just drove a 250 mile round trip to see the new Model's yesterday---pure eye candy! But dealers are few and far between.

The CTX is sure a nice little entry level bike though:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In retail, customer service does count. I went to Home Cheapo a few weeks ago, looking for a new construction window to replace the old falling apart piece of crud in my kitchen. The salesman seemed very rude and didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered with a special order window. So I walked away from the sale. I went to Lowes where I felt like my business mattered. I'm now a proud owner of a new window waiting for nice warm day to be put in........

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Class envy is alive and well:biggrin:

Sam
LOL, keep telling yourself that if it gets you out of bed and to work in the morning. We can go at it all day, you can show off your superior intellect, and we can leave a mess for the mods to clean up. But the fact of the matter is, not everyone believes the more you pay, the better person you are. Myself, I've had my own business since I was a teenager, working my ass off and keeping several employees (who also worked their asses off) employed for over 30 years, so we could all put our kids through college. The difference between you and I? I'm planning on semi retiring at 55, so I'll leave you to buy the expensive motorcycles to keep the economy going. I'll bid you good day because I've got things to do. But I might check in later in case you have another insightful comment.:biggrin:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
The CTX is sure a nice little entry level bike though:)

Sam:)
Thanks, I saw it I liked it and I paid cash for it. And my man parts still work. Imagine that.:p
Now would you let me leave already?:biggrin:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Funny how I can watch a thread turn into a flame war and not even recognize what comment set one poster or the other off.

It's like, Oh, it's on fire now. Hmm, where was the source of ignition.

So I scan back through and STILL don't see what upset who. Or whom.

I really really think all too often innocent comments, snide remarks made in jest, get taken all too seriously here on the web without facial expressions to let the other know you're kidding, jerking their chain, whatever.

Probalby best to wait for the 3rd or 4th "insult" to bother to react. Unless you LIKE being a reactionary.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Just say ANYTHING political and watch. It's down right funny seeing who starts bouncing off the walls.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
One word won't do it. You have to make a statement that some feel MUST be defended. Like Democrats are just closet Communists.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Just throwing out an example ya know.:D Actually a person should be able to discuss the why a person might think like that from both sides but it never happens.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Ahh, me and porky weren't fighting. We were just slapping wet towels at each other in good fun. But when the emoticons disappear, then the gloves come off.:biggrin:
Wait did someone mention commies?:mad:

Edit: Steve, sorry about the hijack.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts